Around the American: Women's basketball edition

Azura Stevens (23) grabs a rebound over Tulane's Kayla Manuirirangi (5) in the second half of an NCAA college basketball game Saturday, Jan. 27, 2018, in Storrs, Conn. UConn won, 98-45. (Stephen Dunn/AP)

Consistency reigned supreme around the American Athletic Conference for women’s basketball this week.

UConn stayed true to their perfect season, winning by 57 on Wednesday over Memphis and 53 on Saturday over Tulane. The Huskies remain number one in all of women’s college basketball, toting a 20-0 overall record and a 9-0 in-conference record. It is also the 11th time in program history that UConn has started a season 20-0.

Tulane came into the game against UConn feeling pretty good, as they had just beat East Carolina on Wednesday, 64-58. Unfortunately for them, those good vibes were quickly put to rest by a hot Huskies team.

Along with Tulane, East Carolina also went 1-1 this week, bouncing back from Wednesday’s loss by upsetting Cincinnati 79-70 in an overtime thriller on Saturday. East Carolina outscored Cincinnati 11-2 in the overtime period.

The consistency keeps on coming for these mediocre teams, as Cincinnati was another team to go 1-1 this week, beating SMU on Wednesday 58-40.

SMU was one of three teams in the conference to go winless this week, joining Temple and Memphis in misery. Shockingly, these three teams are also the bottom three in the conference, with SMU and Temple only winning one conference game apiece and Memphis holding a slight advantage with two wins.

Zac Lane is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at zac.lane@uconn.edu.