Former ‘Glee’ actor Mark Salling found dead of apparent suicide

Mark Salling, one of the stars of the Fox musical comedy “Glee,” died, Tuesday Jan. 30, 2018. He was 35. (Photo by John Shearer/Invision/AP, File)

Former “Glee” actor Mark Salling was found dead Tuesday morning in the Los Angeles area due to an apparent suicide.

Police were called to investigate a reported death at approximately 8:50 a.m. Later that morning, Salling’s attorney, Michael Proctor, confirmed his death.

"Mark was a gentle and loving person, a person of great creativity, who was doing his best to atone for some serious mistakes and errors of judgment,” Proctor said to CNN Entertainment.

Salling was best known for his role as Noah “Puck” Puckerman on the Fox American musical-drama series “Glee.” The star also made appearances on “The X Factor” as himself and appeared in several other movies, including “The Graveyard” (2006) and “Rocky Road” (2014).

This is the latest major loss the “Glee” community has faced, following the death of Cory Monteith in 2013.  

“As the guy who made that really sweet video at the beginning of ‘Glee’ when he was so happy to be a part (of it),” “Glee” co-star Jane Lynch told Just Jared Magazine. “It’s tragic and I’m broken-hearted over it.”

Although the causes that led to his death remain unclear, Salling had been dealing with stressors related to pleading guilty to possession of child pornography and was awaiting his sentencing, scheduled for March 7. Salling also faced several other allegations of sexual assault prior to his most recent offense, according to People.com.

These recent allegations have made it difficult for those who fall outside of his immediate family and friends to handle the loss. Others have weighed in on how the community should grieve Salling.

“Having compassion for #MarkSalling in no way minimizes his crimes, nor does it minimize the pain and devastation of the victims of those crimes,” tweeted Tim Davis, vocal coach and arranger for “Glee.” “I'm just saying stop adding to his family's pain. This was their son. If you're without sin, feel free to cast stones.”

Continued support and mourning is being expressed by family, friends and fans alike.

“It’s very hard to get the image of Noah Puckerman out of my head,” said fourth-semester math education major Marie Randle. “To hear that Mark drifted so far from that lovable character is a real shock. In real life he made some bad decisions, but when I think of him, I will remember the singing bad-boy from ‘Glee.’”

If you or a loved one is struggling and need help, know you are not alone.

24/7 Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255

UConn Counseling and Mental Health Services: 860-486-4705

Lucille Littlefield is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at lucille.littlefield@uconn.edu.