Three easy Super Bowl Recipes that are sure to be winners

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell is reflected in the Vince Lombardi Trophy as he speaks during a news conference in advance of the Super Bowl 52 football game, Wednesday, Jan. 31, 2018, in Minneapolis. The Philadelphia Eagles play the New England Patriots on Sunday, Feb. 4, 2018. (AP Photo/Matt Slocum)

No matter how much you love football, it’s hard to deny that the food isn’t one of the best parts of the Super Bowl. Whether you’re going to a big party or just staying in for a low-key night, there are so many recipes out there that can turn your night from average to amazing. Here are three easy and irresistible recipes to get you started!

1) Buffalo Chicken Sliders

Ingredients (for 12 sliders)

12 rolls dinner rolls, 1 pack
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
3 cups rotisserie chicken, shredded
¾ cup hot sauce
½ cup ranch dressing
2 tablespoons butter, melted

Directions:

Carefully slice the pack of dinner rolls in half, being sure to keep the rolls connected as a single unit as they are split into tops and bottoms. Remove the top and place the bottom section in a 9x12 inch baking dish. Sprinkle the bottom with about one cup of the shredded mozzarella cheese (make sure it is evenly coated as this will act as a barrier between the sauce and the bread, preventing the rolls from getting soggy). Top the cheese with the shredded rotisserie chicken. Drizzle the hot sauce and ranch dressing evenly over the chicken and spread out evenly with a spoon. Top with remaining mozzarella cheese. Place the top half of the rolls on top and brush evenly with melted butter. Bake in a preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes, until the cheese is melty and the rolls have heated through. Remove from oven, cool slightly before transferring to a cutting board. Using a large knife, follow the lines of the rolls, cutting them into 12 individual sliders.

2) Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pull-Apart Bread Bowl

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
½ teaspoon red pepper flake
¾ cup frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
14 oz artichoke hearts, 1 can
8 oz cream cheese, softened
¾ cup sour cream
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Salt, to taste
Black pepper, to taste
1 sourdough bread boule

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a saucepan set over medium heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil, garlic and red pepper flakes, stirring until fragrant, for about 30 seconds. Stir in the spinach and artichokes. Mix in the cream cheese, sour cream, ½ of the mozzarella and Parmesan. Stir until combined and cheese has melted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside. Remove the top of the sourdough boule. Cut around the inside of the bread, being careful not to cut through the sides and scoop out the center of the boule. Cut the scooped out bread into cubes and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Vertically slice into the edges of the bread bowl, cutting all the way through the bottom, leaving about one inch of space between each. Place onto a baking sheet next to the cubed bread. Spoon the spinach artichoke mixture into the sliced and hollowed bread bowl. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella along the edges of the top of the filled bread bowl.
Drizzle the cubed bread pieces with the remaining tablespoon of of olive oil. Place the sliced top back onto the bowl. Bake for about  15-20 minutes.

Mozzarella Stick Onion Rings

Ingredients

2 large white onions
3 slices mozzarella cheese
2 cups flour
5 eggs
2 cups breadcrumb
Oil, for frying
Marinara sauce

Directions:

Peel and cut onions into one centimeter (½ inch) rings. Separate the rings. Slice the mozzarella into four even strips. Place a smaller onion ring in the center of a larger one. Fill the gap between the rings with strips of mozzarella. Repeat with remaining onion rings and freeze them for about one hour. Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs into three separate bowls. Dip each prepared ring into the flour, then the egg, then the breadcrumbs, then back into the egg and one last time into the breadcrumbs. Repeat with the remaining onion rings. Heat the oil in a pot over high heat. Fry the rings until golden brown, being careful not to fry them for too long as the cheese may ooze out completely. Drain on a paper towel, then serve with marinara!

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.