Around the American: UConn at the top with 2 Victories

The UConn Huskies won 2-1 against Sacred Heart University on Tuesday. UConn closed the game at 88:45 with a goal by Felix Metzler (8). Their next home game is on 10/16 against Boston College. Photo by Eric Wang, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The UConn men’s soccer team holds strong at the top of the standings with two victories against the University of Cincinnati and Sacred Heart University. UConn now sports a 7-2-1 record and a 2-0-1 record in conference play.

The 3-0 win over Cincinnati came as a result of strong play on both ends as UConn allowed only five shots all game, with one on target. On the flip side, they took 20 shots with seven on target. In Monday’s match against SHU, the Huskies pounced on a late opportunity to take the lead 2-1. Standout forward Abdou Mbacke Thiam added a goal in each game to bring his season total to eight goals, including the winning goal Monday.

The University of Central Florida took down Tulsa in a 4-3 match Saturday to take over second place in the standings. UCF boasts an 8-2-1 record and a 2-1 record in conference play. UCF forward Cal Jennings set the American men’s soccer record for points with his brace, bringing his season total to 32 points. Jennings has led his team to success, accounting for almost 47 percent of their total goals this season.

The University of South Florida drew 1-1 with Southern Methodist University to drop to third in the season standings. Goalie Har Devenish-Meares was the standout performer in this tie as he kept his team in the game through 2OT with a total of 10 saves in 110 minutes of play. USF now sits at a record of 4-5-2 with a 1-0-2 record in conference play.

Memphis (5-3-4) lies at the middle of the pack as they represent the No. 4 team in the conference. They tied 1-1 against Temple Saturday and 2-2 against Central Arkansas Monday. Midfielder Edgar Alaniz scored the lone goal in the tie versus Temple for Memphis, and then he added an assist in the match against Central Arkansas as well.

SMU (5-4-2) sits in fifth place after their tie against USF in their lone game this week. They are 1-1-1 in conference play.

Temple dropped to 1-1-1 in conference play after their tie with Memphis; they are 4-5-3 overall, and are stuck in sixth place this week.

Cincinnati (3-8-1) sit in the penultimate place in the standings after they dropped their fixture against UConn. They are 1-2 in conference play this season.

Rounding out the standings this week is Tulsa who lost their game against UCF and tied 0-0 against Missouri State on Saturday. Tulsa is now 3-7-2 overall and 0-3 against conference opponents this season.

Michael Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu.