Cross Country: UConn’s stars return in time for the Princeton Invitational

Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

UConn head coach Greg Roy said Wednesday that all three of the teams’ top runners will be competing in time for the upcoming Princeton Invitational Saturday.

Seniors Patrick Begley and Michael McGonnigle and sophomore Eric Van Der Els were absent from the Paul Short Invitational but are prepared to make their debut in Princeton.

“They’ve been doing full workout for about three works, so we’re anxious to see where they are,” Roy said. “We’re really putting our team together here for the first time.”

Roy said Begley was also named captain of the team as of yesterday. He will be the team leader going to Princeton.

Roy said that besides Princeton he doesn’t know who else will be competing against UConn.

Roy said he hasn’t felt the need to make any adjustments to the lineup. He said he’ll be putting the three star runners back in, and competing the same runners from the Paul Short Invitational.

“We’re as good as we can be,” Roy said.

Two freshmen, James Maniscalco and William Brisman, will also compete in the upcoming

invitational. Roy said he has seen a lot of growth in the two runners this season.

“Brisman looks like he can be a top five contributor on any given day,” Roy said. “James Maniscalco has been doing a great job, he’s very competitive.”

Because of how deep the roster is, the two freshmen are working hard every day to compete for a spot, Roy added.

Sophomore Sean Parker will look to continue his great start to the season, as he has only progressed since last year. He placed 75th out of all runners at the Paul Short Invitational and Roy said with more development, he can be even better in upcoming events.

“We’ve moderated his volume and tried to work on his speed, so I think you're starting to see the results show through,” Roy said. “I thought his effort at Paul Short was phenomenal and he’s one of the young guys that can definitely help us compete.”

The Princeton Invitational will be the third meet for the men’s team out of six total.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.