Fall Fashion: Fall in love with fall style

FILE - In this Oct. 4, 2016, file photo, fall foliage colors a line of mountains in Chatham, N. H. For a different perspective on the fall foliage, try viewing the colors from the summit of a New England peak, either by hiking, driving or taking a ski lift. (AP Photo/Robert F. Bukaty, File)

The mention of fall conjures up charming thoughts of pumpkin spice, the changing color of the leaves, the upcoming holidays and, most importantly, the fashion trends that go hand in hand with the beloved season. Despite the drastic weather changes throughout the day, from the mornings fraught with chill to afternoons reminiscent of summer, you can’t help but have fun with the wardrobe that accompanies this season of change.

The advantage of the changing weather is the versatility of day-to-day outfits. Layering is the key to staying on top of the temperature shifts, as well as a way to wear different pieces in countless ways throughout the season. With an array of outerwear, scarves, vests, socks and hats that you can incorporate with dresses, skirts, pants and shoes, your wardrobe transforms into one of fashion and utility. You don’t always have to sacrifice style for comfort!

“Fall weather provides the unique experience of expressing style through layers,” first-semester nursing major Jessica Daley said.

Make sure you have a different coat or jacket depending on the temperature and whatever look you’re feeling on that particular day. Bring out a jean jacket or flannel shirt to pair with a solid color T-shirt and casual shoes like Converse for a relaxed look that is just enough to stay warm on a cool day. Dig out your pea coat or Patagonia pullover and pair with stylish boots or Vans for either a dressed-up or informal look that keeps out the cold when trekking to class.

“Fall is the time of year when warmth and comfort surround you,” Daley said about how to dress appropriately for the weather. “The dropping temperature outside prompts grabbing a plush scarf or fleece sweater before heading out the door, and I absolutely love it!”

Mix and match your accessories for added warmth and style. Throw on a plaid blanket scarf over a plain shirt paired with a cardigan and booties for those days when you try to make it seem like you care about how you look, even if all you want is a nap. Layer a crocheted infinity scarf on top of a striped long-sleeve with a jean skirt for a fun outfit. Add a cute knit beanie to a thick, loose, knit sweater, jeans and Bean Boots, moccasins or Vans for an easy cozy look.

And don’t forget about everybody’s favorites: socks! For those days you’re staying in, make sure you have your essential fuzzy socks to keep you warm while you study. Rock some patterned knee high socks with boots if you’re really feeling the fall spirit.

As the weather starts to shift into colder temperatures, the comfy vibe of fall really comes into play, and outfits that would otherwise seem an afterthought—which they very well might be, if you’re in a rush one morning—seem appropriate for cozy autumn days. So, wear that sweatshirt with leggings and moccasins, or treat yourself and throw on a fun dress with a scarf, leather jacket and knee-high boots or booties. As long as you’re comfortable in what you’re wearing, you are sure to look great.

The fall aesthetic also brings out the unique warm fall color palette that compliments the leaves outside.

“The picturesque scenery surrounding our school with leaves changing color is a great inspiration to pull out the dusty yellows, maroon, minty greens and deeper shades of blue,” Daley adds. “I love seeing the aesthetic across campus alter to one that exudes an atmosphere of comfort and warmth.”

Try to incorporate the different autumnal shades, such as orange, maroon, red, mustard yellow and earthy green, as well as at least one unique texture, such as velvet, suede, knit or cotton, in order to liven up your outfit. Have fun with your look everyday, and stay warm while looking good throughout the season. You’ll be sure to fall in love with fall fashion in no time!

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.