Republicans benefit from Democrats’ absurdity amid Kavanaugh allegation

Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh stands before a ceremonial swearing-in in the East Room of the White House in Washington, Monday, Oct. 8, 2018. (AP Photo/Susan Walsh)

Over the past several weeks, Republicans and Democrats on Capitol Hill have been locked in an exhausting he-said-she-said duel over Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh that amounts to the single worst case of defamation I’ve seen in my life. Democrats should be ashamed. Republicans should be grateful.

On July 9, President Trump announced to the country that his nominee for the Supreme Court would be Judge Brett Kavanaugh, a graduate of Yale Law School and circuit judge on the D.C. Court of Appeals. Immediately, Democrats uncurled from the fetal position and sprang into their resistance formation.

Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-NY), who announced his opposition to any Trump nominee in June, declared on July 9, moments after Trump’s announcement, “I will oppose Judge Kavanaugh’s nomination with everything I have.” His colleagues followed suit.

Sen. Bob Casey Jr. (D-PA) stated that he would “oppose the nomination the president will make tonight.” Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA) stated, “I’ll be voting no.” Sen. Kamala Harris (D-CA) tweeted, “I will oppose his nomination to the Supreme Court.” Sen. Richard Blumenthal (D-CT) stated, “I will be a ‘no’ vote on this nominee.”

Two months later, in September, Judge Kavanaugh sat in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee and answered 1,278 questions from Democrats over four days. The instant the hearing concluded, Sen. Diane Feinstein (D-CA) dropped a bombshell on the committee.

For six weeks, she had sat on a letter from Christine Ford accusing Kavanaugh of sexual assault in an unspecified place at an unspecified time with no corroborating evidence. Only after thirty hours of questioning did she decide to pose one more.

Democrats immediately called for an FBI investigation, even though the bureau has less investigative power than the committee. Eventually, they learned that the FBI does not investigate state crimes with no evidence from 36 years ago and finally agreed to a hearing that would grant Ford and Kavanaugh the opportunity to speak amid the protests and death threats they both were enduring.

Kavanaugh reiterated that he “categorically and unequivocally” denied the accusation, and Ford maintained that she was “100 percent certain” that it was Kavanaugh who assaulted her.

The hearing concluded and no evidence was brought forth. Democrats, in dismay, called for an investigation again and ultimately received a supplemental background check, Kavanaugh’s seventh.

This took all of a few days. Again, no evidence was uncovered. Democrats, having doubled down with an ace showing, sank further into a pit of desperation and continued to embarrass themselves.

Kavanaugh, a man with a record cleaner than Michael Moore’s plate, was understandably miffed about his new reputation as a violent, blackout drunk and gang rapist. Democrats decried his righteous outrage.

Finally, Sen. Corey Booker (D-NJ) came clean, claiming that the judge’s “temperament” had been revealed and wondered, “have enough questions been raised that we should not move on to another candidate,” adding, “whether he’s innocent or guilty.” It was never about innocence or guilt, but obstruction.

Democrats claimed that this grand filibuster was about truth, but in reality, they sought a drawn-out investigation to run out the clock before midterms, during which they hoped to retake the majority in Congress and shoot down any of Trump’s nominees. Then, they claimed that Kavanaugh’s credibility was damaged from the allegations, despite a lack of evidence, and advocated that the GOP move on to another candidate for them to manufacture baseless allegations against.

In slandering Brett Kavanaugh, Democrats have damaged their own credibility in the eyes of voters. Polling indicates that the left’s handling of Kavanaugh’s nomination has allowed Republicans to slice into Democrats’ enthusiasm edge for the midterms, reducing a ten-point deficit to a mere two points.

It’s pretty clear that the results of an investigation would do little to influence the votes of Democrats, as they were united in opposition minutes after Kavanaugh’s nomination was announced in July, well before any allegations came forth. The narrative shifted from key issues, such as healthcare and immigration reform, to a desperate attempt at condemning an innocent man (as far as we know). The left sought to steal the female vote with its latest character assassination, but there are still women in this country who refuse to watch their husbands, fathers and sons be destroyed by uncorroborated accusations.

Democrats have provided voters with ample bulletin board material to sustain them during this crucial election season. Trump’s base is now reinvigorated to storm the polls in droves and ensure that Democrats do not retake the majority, because we know exactly what that looks like now.

I don’t always vote straight ticket, but when I do, it’s because Democrats have outed themselves as the desperate, power-hungry obstructionists that they are. I’ll see you all at the polls in a month.

Stay deplorable, my friends.

Kevin Catapano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at kevin.catapano@uconn.edu.