Basketball: First Night is back

The UConn mens' and women' basketball teams kicked off the start of basketball season on Friday, October 14th at Gampel Pavilion. The event included a skills challenge, a dunk contest, and a scrimmage (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

First Night will make its return after a one-year absence due to renovations at Gampel Pavilion. This will be Husky fans’ first opportunity to catch the new-look basketball teams before the season starts. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. and the game begins at 7 p.m. and is free.

All fans will receive a poster and the first 300 fans to sign up at the South Entrance can participate in a "Selfie Session" with both teams. There will also be a drumline performance, additional giveaways and contests.

There will be a blue and white scrimmage, integrating both men’s and women’s teams and the score will be kept throughout the entire night, including all skills challenges and scrimmages. Fans can pick which team they think will win by selecting either a blue or white raffle ticket. Each fan who picks the winning team will receive a prize as they leave the Gampel Pavilion and also be entered to win one of the grand prizes, which includes a pair of season tickets to both men's and women's basketball, a UConn Bookstore gift pack, or a new TV.

The blue team will be coached by Dan Hurley and the roster includes Alterique Gilbert, Christian Vital, Tarin Smith, Sid Wilson, Kwintin Williams, Eric Cobb, Christyn Williams, Napheesa Collier, Olivia Nelson-Ododa and Lexi Gordon.

The white team will be coached by Geno Auriemma and the roster includes Jalen Adams, Katie Lou Samuelson, Mamadou Diarra, Tyler Polley, Isaiah Whaley, Josh Carlton and Brendan Adams.

Ayo & Teo will perform at 6 p.m.—the duo is famous for their hit “Rollex.” There will be special perks for fans who arrive early. The first 50 students in line will receive floor access to the Ayo & Teo performance and courtside seats for First Night. While the next 350 students in line will receive floor access to the performance and reserved seats for First Night.

Students are asked to enter through the North and East entrances only. UConn basketball tank tops and light-up wristbands will be given out to students while supplies last. Follow #UConnFirstNight on Twitter for capacity updates and all First Night information.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.