‘Blood Pact’: A show that should never be watched in English

This show is perfect for lovers of cop dramas and mysteries, specifically, though, if they know Portuguese. It’s honestly not worth watching in the English dub. It has many layers and promising plot points that will hopefully unfold across the rest of the first season in a way that gets you to watch more. (Screenshot via Netflix)

The first season of Netflix’s new original series “Blood Pact” hit the site on Wednesday. “Blood Pact” boasts complex characters and a look into the different ways people in Brazil are affected by drug trafficking. Unfortunately, any good aspect of this otherwise pretty standard drug versus cop show is ruined by some truly terrible English dub and a fairly hard to follow mode of storytelling.

The English dub was atrocious. It sounded as if there were maybe two guys doing the voices for every single male on the show as well as one female, and one woman doing the voice for every other girl. It was possibly worse than the dub in “Pokemon.” The men alternatively sounded like Indiana Jones and Batman, and their tone never once fit the scene.

It was hard to keep track of what was going on at times, including who was good or bad or really just who was who, because of the terrible dub. Sometimes another character spoke while a different character, who had the exact same voice a second ago, was the focus of the camera. The use of the wrong tone also made one of the characters, Silas Campello (Guilherme Fontes), look like a crazy person, when he was actually a daring TV reporter with a wife and a kid with a serious drug problem. Beyond that it was just distracting. If you can understand Portuguese, please just watch it in the original language.

The show was also made up of different moments happening to characters whose connections with one another didn’t seem clear until the end. One second it would show Roberto Moreira (Ravel Cabral) participating in a drinking contest and the next scene would be Campello in a nondescript place with people who are never introduced, viewing his footage from the first scene of the episode. It was just very hard to follow. It’s still unclear by the end of the episode if Campello and Moreira are connected or even if they’re the main characters.

Not all of it was bad though. One of the major plot points of the first episode was a missing girl who was trapped in a cell with a couple other girls. Her captors made her drink something ominous and then stripped her down, cleaned her up and brought her to an opening in the woods where something akin to either an orgy or ritual sacrifice was taking place. The creativity of this scene was mesmerizing to watch and truly horrifying. It was a very refreshing aspect of this show after the unfortunate English dub and the run-of-the-mill plot.

This show is perfect for lovers of cop dramas and mysteries, specifically, though, if they know Portuguese. It’s honestly not worth watching in the English dub. It has many layers and promising plot points that will hopefully unfold across the rest of the first season in a way that gets you to watch more. I think it deserves two different scores, one with the dub and one without.

With the English dub:

1/5

Without the English dub:

3.5/5

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.