Farmhouse Crepes celebrates one year in business

“While I do want to expand, my focus this year will be to continue to educate the public on what a crepe is,” Jean said. “We have the best crepes in town with breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert options.” (File/The Daily Campus)

Farmhouse Crepes in Storrs Center is celebrating one year in business after overcoming many obstacles and receiving expansion proposals, said owner and University of Connecticut senior Tahj-Anthony Jean.

Jean, a seventh-semester economics major, opened Farmhouse Crepes on Oct. 11, 2017 and said this past year has been the most “exhilarating experience” in his life thus far.

There have been multiple developers that wanted Farmhouse Crepes to expand, but Jean said he has other goals right now.

“While I do want to expand, my focus this year will be to continue to educate the public on what a crepe is,” Jean said. “We have the best crepes in town with breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert options.”

Jean said he hopes to expand the restaurant after he graduates.

“I’m focused on graduating next spring, which will provide me with enough time to focus on expanding and evaluate new opportunities,” Jean said.

Looking back at the past year, Jean said he is proud of the restaurant.

“I cannot explain how good it feels to see your hard work and ideas come into fruition,” Jean said.

In Dec. 2017, the restaurant faced some smoke and ventilation issues, which were quickly resolved after winter break.

“Most of our challenges were facility ventilation-related which have all been corrected,” Jean said. “Getting staffing schedules done was also a challenge at first but our mobile scheduling app quickly eliminated that challenge.”

On Oct. 11, all crepes will be 25 percent off if customers follow @FarmhouseCrepes on social media, according to Jean.

The crepe of the month for October is the Oreo Crepe, Jean said.

“We will also have a few big promotions so keep an eye out for those,” Jean said. “With our social media accounts we post weekly specials and discounts.”

Ashley Anglisano is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached by email at ashley.anglisano@uconn.edu.