Farmhouse Crêpes: A taste of Paris in Storrs, CT

Tomorrow is the one year anniversary of the opening of Farmhouse Crepes in Storrs Center. Delicious Gluttonous Crepes are being served to content customers. (Kevin Lindstrom/The Daily Campus)

College campuses make finding delicious yet simple and healthy food difficult. Options are limited and more times than not, the most accessible meal will leave behind a horrible stomach ache. However, thanks to Tahj-Anthony Jean, University of Connecticut students have Farmhouse Crêpes right at their fingertips. Located in Storrs Center, Farmhouse Crêpes offers student a delicious mix of savory or sweet crêpes, with an option to build your own. Its simple yet mouthwatering flavors will leave you wanting more every time.

What makes Farmhouse Crêpes even more unique is its story? Originally from Queens, New York, Jean came to UConn with the intention of playing Division I football for four years. However, during his second year at UConn, there were a turn of events. Despite his passion for football, when Jean saw a vacant spot in Storrs Center he knew he had to act upon his idea.

“I started working on the idea of Farmhouse Crepes in the spring of 2017 during Spring Football. Not only was I taking classes and going to practice but I was also building a business,” Jean said.

Through hard work, determination, support from family, friends, professors and teammates and drive within himself, Jean was able to manifest the small idea in his mind into a successful, thriving business. At the young age of 19, Jean was a full-fledged business owner and entrepreneur.

The idea behind crêpes stemmed from his childhood, specifically memories he has of being 13. His mother and sister came back from a trip to Paris where they fell in love with them, and soon enough so did Jean. He recalls how he “used to make crêpes every Mother’s Day” after teaching himself how. He admired the versatility of a crêpe, and how it can be “prepared for breakfast, lunch and dinner,” depending on the ingredients. Thus, customers are able to enjoy a tasty crêpe at any time of the day, along with the freedom to fill it with any of their favorite foods.

Farmhouse Crêpes isn’t simply a business for Jean. He loves working with people and making “Farmhouse is a home away from home with the right decor, warm customer service and great food.”

Jean is always looking for ways to better his business, whether it be something as simple as incorporating an espresso machine or as complex as redecorating the interior. Not only does Jean possess a true entrepreneurial mindset, but his priority is to ensure his customers, as well as his team, have an amazing holistic experience at Farmhouse Crêpes. However, it does not stop there. While Farmhouse Crêpes puts food on the plates of students and residents all around Storrs and neighboring areas, it also donates a percentage of profits to feeding the poor.

Located on 1 Royce Circle, Storrs CT, Farmhouse Crêpes gives you the option to either dine in ortake out.

Jordana Castelli is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at jordana.castelli@uconn.edu.