How to Stop Being Single and Get Ready to Mingle: Should you see them again?

Go out again with them. Don’t go out again with the player who doesn’t care about you or other people. Keep searching until you find a person worthy of a second date with you.  (rkroebl/Flickr Creative Commons)

Go out again with them. Don’t go out again with the player who doesn’t care about you or other people. Keep searching until you find a person worthy of a second date with you. (rkroebl/Flickr Creative Commons)

First dates are always awkward, but they definitely don’t have to be nightmares. Here are some signs that you should never go out with them again:

Attraction: This doesn’t necessarily mean if you think they’re hot or not, but that might be a factor. If you seriously cannot kiss someone because of their looks, it’s probably not going to work out. On the other hand, there could be other factors that might repel you from even the hottest person on the planet. This could be how they act, how they speak, their personality, etc. If you feel repelled by them in any way, just don’t call them back.

Courtesy to Waiters: You can learn a lot about a person from how they talk to their waiter. If they snap their fingers for the check, don’t tip or are just incredibly rude, they are bad people. They are treating their waiters as idiotic servants, not as people. It’s also likely that they’ve never worked in customer service before, and have never had the experience of a disgruntled person throwing a cup at them or yelling at them for a refund. This is not the kind of person you should see again.

Racism: Surprisingly enough, it’s easy to tell if someone is racist from the very first date. If they make a joke in bad taste, a weird comment or talk like they’re from the 1950s, they’re probably racist. Racism shows intolerance and prejudice, and you definitely do not need that in your life.

Narcissism: If they only talk about themselves the entire time and never stop for one second to ask questions about you, then they’re probably narcissistic. This could spell disaster for a relationship, mainly because they’ll always want to put themself before you. You need someone who will go out of their way to make you happy and learn about you. You don’t need someone who is only in love with themself.

Nervousness: It’s kind of cute when your date is a little nervous. It means they’re worried this might not go well and they really want it to go well. If they accidentally order something they don’t like or forget to ask for water and look at you as if they just failed some sort of test, they’re a keeper. If they’re completely confident then they might be players. Don’t go on a second date with a player.

Lingering: You want the kind of date that makes both of you want to linger. The perfect date is one that goes on for hours and hours because neither of you want it to end. This date becomes more spontaneous and romantic as it goes on. If, after dinner, your date tries to get the heck out of there, don’t see them again.

Happiness: If you’re unhappy during the date, it’s not worth pursuing another one. This is a person you’ll potentially be spending a lot of time with, so if you don’t enjoy this one date together, you probably won’t have the best relationship with them. Find someone who makes you happy.

If you’re with a person you get along with who’s romantic and kind, then even the most awkward first date will become perfect in your mind. Go out again with them. Don’t go out again with the player who doesn’t care about you or other people. Keep searching until you find a person worthy of a second date with you.

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.