Luke’s Triple Option: TEXAS IS BACK

FILE- In this Saturday, Oct. 6, 2018, file photo, Texas wide receiver Collin Johnson (9) celebrates after scoring a touchdown on a 2-yard reception during the first half of an NCAA college football game against Oklahoma at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Johnson and Lil’Jordan Humphrey have been a big problem for opposing defenses. The duo has combined for 65 catches and eight touchdowns for the No. 9 Longhorns. (AP Photo/Cooper Neill, File)

I spent all of Saturday watching an unhealthy amount of college football to give you, dear reader, an update on the world of college football. Here are the three most notable results from this weekend:

Oklahoma 45, Texas 48

FOLKS, TEXAS IS BACK to playing their best football as an underdog, and it showed in spades on Saturday afternoon when they got what may be the signature win of head coach Tom Herman’s career.

The Longhorns did to Oklahoma what you don’t see many Big 12 teams accomplish, and that’s lean on them until they give in. It looked like Texas just had bigger, faster, stronger athletes on the field than Oklahoma, but the real reason for this big win was turnover luck.

Oklahoma turned the ball over three times, which definitely assisted Texas in winning despite getting out gained in total yardage.

Now that Oklahoma has one loss, it makes it harder for the Big 12 to get a representative in the playoff, but it will make for a wildly entertaining race for the conference title down the stretch with these two teams, plus undefeated West Virginia and one-loss Texas Tech lurking.

Arizona State 21, Colorado 28

Somebody has to win the Pac-12 South division, and for that we turn to our old friend Colorado. The many Buffalo haters have (rightfully) pointed out that they “ain’t played nobody,” as they say, but undefeated is undefeated.

The biggest test for Colorado so far will come this week at 10:30 p.m. against USC, the pre-season division favorite, but for now just enjoy how darn fun this team has been so far in 2018.

Plus, the more Colorado wins, the more the Laviska Shenault Jr. Heisman campaign slowly grows. This week, the sensational sophomore had four touchdowns (double his career-high) and 140 all-purpose yards (somehow his second-worst mark of the year so far).

LSU 19, Florida 27

Florida is way ahead of schedule as a rebuilding program, and for that you can blame head coach Dan Mullen, who outcoached and outmaneuvered Ed Orgeron and LSU Saturday night.

The Gators beat LSU by virtue of a stifling defense, more specifically a quality pass rush. Florida defenders sacked Joe Burrow five times in almost every high-leverage passing down the Tigers had, and forced eight QB hurries leading to two untimely Burrow interceptions.

Even though Florida might not be a favorite in the SEC East for the foreseeable future with Georgia blocking their way to the top, Gator fans should be encouraged with how their team has started out under Mullen.

Now, for the games worth watching next Saturday:

Texas Tech vs. TCU, Thursday, 7:30 p.m. on ESPN

Hark, college football didn’t just lie down for the NFL on Thursday night this week! Like I mentioned earlier, Texas Tech might be a sleeper pick to contend for a Big 12 title. This is not an NFL column, but let’s just say it’s a lot better than the alternative football game on Thursday night.

Washington at Oregon, Saturday, 3:30 p.m. on ABC/ESPN2

Boys howdy, this afternoon slate. This will be one of the few times you’ll get to see a Pac-12 conference while you’re sober, so take advantage of it.

Washington plays a boring style of football, but Oregon has been entertaining when quarterback Justin Herbert is healthy. And since this game is in Autzen, there’s a pretty sizable chance that the Ducks walk out of this in control of their own destiny in the Pac-12 North.

UCF at Memphis, Saturday, 3:30 p.m. on ABC/ESPN2

This game features the reigning, defending, still-undefeated national champs against a Memphis team with a new lease on the season. Fresh off a baffling spanking delivered on behalf of Tulane, Memphis faced the perfect team to get them right back on track, grinding UConn into very fine dust.

This game is a rematch of last year’s American title game, a contest which featured 117 total points, nearly 1,500 yards of total offense and two overtimes. If this week’s contest is even 75 percent as entertaining as that game, it’ll be easily the best game of the week.

Luke Swanson is a staff writer for The Daily Campus.  He can be reached via email at luke.swanson@uconn.edu.