Field Hockey: Set to Face Villanova, UNC

The UConn Huskies took their second loss of the season 2-5 against Princeton on Sunday. They look to bounce back in their next home game next Friday, 10/12 against Villanova (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s field hockey team will host Villanova Friday at 3 p.m. at George J. Sherman Family Sports Complex before traveling to Newton, MA to take on top-ranked North Carolina Sunday at 11 a.m.

UConn (11-2, 4-0 Big East) went on the road to Providence on Friday and picked up a 3-0 over the Friars before suffering their second loss of the season Sunday at home to Princeton, 5-2, on Senior Day.

At Providence, Senior Amanda Collins, freshman Abby Gooderham and redshirt senior Cecile Pieper all scored first half goals for UConn. Junior Antonia Tiedtke recorded two assists while redshirt freshman goalkeeper Cheyenne Sprecher made two saves. The victory improved the Huskies to 4-0 in Big East play.

On Sunday, junior Svea Boker and Tiedtke notched second half goals, but UConn was unable to overcome a deficit and fell 5-2 to Princeton. The defeat marked the second consecutive home loss for the Huskies. After the game, UConn fell to No. 5 in the rankings while the Tigers moved up from No. 5 to No. 3.

Today, UConn will look to bounce back against Big East opponent Villanova. The Wildcats (5-7, 2-2 Big East) are coming off a 2-1 over Quinnipiac, a team the Huskies defeated 8-0 earlier in the season. Megan Vermeil and Lydia Sydnor have paced the Villanova offense with 14 points each, while goalkeeper Erika Miller is allowing 2.58 goals per game with a 0.656 save percentage. In their single meeting last season, the Huskies rolled to a 12-0 win over the Wildcats.

On Sunday, the Huskies will face their highest ranked opponent of the season in No. 1 North Carolina. The Tar Heels (13-0) defeated Liberty 7-1 on Sunday for their seventh win over a ranked opponent this season. As a team, North Carolina is averaging 4.77 goals per game and allowing just 0.46 goals per game. Erin Matson leads the Tar Heels with 31 points while Catherine Hayden and Ashley Hoffman each have totaled over 20 points this season. Goalkeeper Amanda Hendry has a 0.852 save percentage in 13 starts. In their last matchup, UConn defeated UNC in a shootout in the 2017 national semifinals.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.