UConn School of Engineering wins four GAANN awards

Students hard at work within the School of Engineering (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

Funding will Further Research on Cybersecurity and Biotechnology 

The University of Connecticut (UConn) School of Engineering secured four Graduate Assistance in Areas of National Need (GAANN) awards from the U.S. Department of Education, each approximately $1 million. The funding will be used to recruit graduate students for further research on cybersecurity and biotechnology.

The GAANN award] is a highly prestigious award and will give us access to high quality students
— UConn professor Mei Wei

The GAANN programs provide opportunities through various departments of institutions of higher education to students who demonstrate financial need and superior ability, according to the U.S Department of Education website.

“We compete with peer universities in order to attract high quality graduate students from around the nation,” Mei Wei, UConn Associate Dean for Research and Graduate Education, said.

With the GAAN awards, the UConn’s School of Engineering will be able to hire and recruit up to 30 Ph.D students to their research team, according to the UConn School of Engineering Communications Office.

“We recruit the most talented, domesticated students to work on projects. [The GAANN award] is a highly prestigious award and will give us access to high quality students,” Wei said. “The research team is currently working on developments on cyberkinetics, biopolymers and resiliency and robustness of infrastructure.”

The GAANN Awards will provide fellowships for graduate students which allow them to join programs like the biopolymers program, Wei said. This will allow for further research in areas of high need.

“Students will be able to work in lab. [The GAANN Awards] will pay for tuition and housing and provide for their financial need in order to attract these high quality graduate students.” Wei said.

Bianca Castelan is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at bianca.castelan@uconn.edu.