Volleyball: UConn travels to Florida for weekend slate

The UConn Huskies Volleyball team plays against the Cincinnati Bearcats at Gampel Pavilion on October 7, 2018. The match resulted in a 1-3 loss by the Huskies (Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s volleyball team will travel to Florida this weekend for matchups with USF and UCF.

The Huskies (10-8, 2-3 The American) are coming off back to back losses at home last weekend against ECU and Cincinnati. The Huskies’ schedule does not get much easier, as USF (13-5, 2-3 The American) and UCF (14-3, 5-0 The American) are both strong teams in the American Athletic Conference.

USF is coming off consecutive home losses to Wichita State and Tulsa, both of whom UConn have yet to play this season. USF sits one spot ahead of UConn in the conference standings, with both squads holding a 2-3 record in conference play, however, USF has a better overall record. USF is coached by Courtney Draper, who is in her seventh year as the head coach of the program. She has faced a difficult challenge this season, with lots of turnover as 10 new players joined the program, including five transfers and five freshmen. She clearly has done a solid job as USF finds itself eight games above .500.

The Huskies travel across the state to face UCF on Sunday. UCF is riding an 11-game winning streak going into the weekend, making them one of the hottest teams in the country. UCF and UConn have no common opponents thus far this season, making it difficult to predict how the Huskies compare to other teams UCF has faced thus far. If UConn is able to win, it would be a thrilling upset and give the Huskies a sense of resurgence, given the fact it’s only been able to beat two of the bottom teams in The American this season in Houston and Temple.

Todd Dagenais is the head coach of the UCF program, marking his eleventh year in charge. Dagenais has been fortunate to return nine players from last season. Dagenais ranks third in program history with 185 victories, and his winning percentage of .576 is the fifth best in the 43-year history of the UCF volleyball program.

The Huskies would love to leave the Sunshine State this weekend with at least one victory to avoid dropping further down in The American standings.

Sam Newton is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at samuel.newton@uconn.edu.