Women’s Hockey: Huskies set to play back-to-back games this weekend

UConn takes on Merrimack last year. The Huskies have a pair of Hockey East games coming up this weekend (File Photo/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s hockey team has two games this weekend as they look to remain undefeated.

The Huskies are currently 3-0 on the season and are coming off of a 4-2 win over the University of Vermont in their first conference matchup of the season.

Their first game will take place on Friday, Oct. 12, in Durham, New Hampshire versus the University of New Hampshire. UNH is currently 0-1-1 on the season and have only played games against one opponent, the No.10 ranked St. Lawrence Saints. Both games went into overtime and resulted in a 1-1 tie the first time and a 1-0 loss the second time.

The Wildcats’ only goal of the season was scored by senior forward Devan Taylor and assisted by junior and senior defenseman Tori Howran and Marie-Jo Pelletier.

Despite their record, UNH is ranked 18 on the NCAA NC Women’s RPI rankings, just one behind UConn.

Then on Saturday, Oct. 13, the Huskies come back home for a matchup against Holy Cross. The Crusaders are 0-1-2, losing their first game of the season to Rochester Institute of Technology and then recording back to back ties versus RIT and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.

Senior forward Amanda Kewer leads the team in points with one assist and one goal. She is tied with freshman forward Carlie Magier for the lead in goals and tied with freshman forward Danielle Doherty, sophomore forward Katie MacCuaig and junior defenseman Victoria Young for the lead in assists.

UConn’s game against Holy Cross will be their first home game since their 3-2 victory over St. Cloud State on Saturday, Sept. 29.

Sophomore forward Natalie Snodgrass currently leads the Huskies in points with five, two goals and three assists. Snodgrass is tied for team lead in goals with junior forward Catherine Crawley and freshman defenseman Camryn Wong. She is also tied for the team lead in assists with sophomore forward Morgan Wabick.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.