Cross Country: UConn Places 4th at the Princeton Invitational 

The Huskies placed fourth out of 20 teams at the Princeton Invitational. (Photo courtesy of uconnhuskies.com)

The UConn men’s cross country team took fourth place out of 20 teams in the Princeton Invitational 8k race on Friday afternoon. 

It was their first race of the season that featured a full, healthy team. It was an impressive showing for UConn, as they had three runners finish in the top 25 and two more finish in the top 50. Only Princeton, Villanova and Temple turned in better team performances than the Huskies.

Leading the way for UConn was redshirt senior captain Patrick Begley, who finished eighth in the field of 219 runners with a time of 24:20.8. Begley, who was named captain of the team last Wednesday, made his season debut at Princeton and he performed as expected. 

Right behind him was senior Kyle Brackman, who followed up his strong performance at the Paul Short Invitational with a 16th place finish. His time was 24:35.9. 

Redshirt sophomore Eric van der Els, who won the Minutemen Invitational at UMass earlier in the year, placed 25th overall with a time of 24:45.5. 

Solid performances were also turned in by senior Kyle Barber and redshirt senior Michael McGonnigle, who finished in 38th and 42nd place, respectively. Barber’s time was 24:55.9 and McGonnigle, who also made his season debut on Friday, finished with a time of 24:58.4. 

The rest of the UConn runners finished as follows: Junior James Mas (77th), freshman William Brisman (83rd), sophomore Sean Parker (93rd), freshman James Maniscalco (108th), senior Peter Garmon (111th), and freshman Jonathon Connor (115th). 

Next, the Huskies will travel to New Orleans on Oct. 25 for the 2018 American Athletic Conference Championship, where they look to win their first title in program history. 

Danny Barletta is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at daniel.barletta@uconn.edu.