Dogs take the town

The Mansfield Pup Crawl was a pleasant stroll around Storrs Center and its surrounding trails that both the dogs and their owners enjoyed. (Lauren Rudin/The Daily Campus)

The town of Mansfield held its sixth annual Pup Crawl on Saturday, Oct. 13.

Over 20 people and 11 dogs of all sizes braved the 1.5 mile walk in 45-degree temperatures and pouring rain through Downtown Storrs.

The free public event was hosted by the Mansfield Downtown Partnership with assistance from the Friends of Mansfield Animal Shelter. Anyone was able to participate even if they did not have a dog.

The Friends of Mansfield Animal Shelter was also taking donations at the event.

The dogs were donated free bags of treats and were provided free bandanas by The Oaks.

The walk started and ended at Betsy Patterson square at around 9:50 a.m. The route went past Wing Stop and ended up in front of the Mansfield Apartments. The group was guided through the woods into a clearing with benches that overlooks the Albert E. Moss Sanctuary. According to one of the volunteers, the Moss family donated the land to Mansfield.

“When Downtown Storrs opened, we needed a way to bring Mansfield residents here,” commented Cara Montano, a Mansfield volunteer. “We proposed the Pup Crawl as it is a good way to show off Downtown Storrs and a great way to showcase the Sanctuary which many people don’t know about.” Cara was walking with her Shetland Sheepdog, Jake.

In the Sanctuary, Tom Friedland, a former veterinarian of 42 years, gave a small talk on hazardous foods for dogs commonly found in the kitchen including grapes, coconuts, sugarless gum and caffeine. He mentioned that if a dog eats any of these things, to call the number for animal poison control, (888) 426-4435, according to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) website. After leaving the Sanctuary, he showed how to check for ticks on pets, which are common in the woods.

After the event was over, all dogs were given a bag of treats.

Joshua Oculam is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at joshua.oculam@uconn.edu.