Features by Drake, 21 Savage, and Lil Baby outshine Quavo on his own album

Quavo released new album titled Quavo Huncho Oct. 12. (screenshot/Quavo’s twitter)

Apparently Quavo has been spending way too much time playing pickup basketball with Drake and Meek Mill instead of focusing on making a quality album. The leader of the popular hip-hop group Migos just released his debut solo album “Quavo Huncho.” The project includes 19 tracks with a surplus of featured artists including Drake, Kid Cudi and 21 Savage.

In a way, the excessive amount of features both help and hurt Quavo. On one hand, they save the album from being complete garbage. On the other hand, however, all of the featured artists spend the whole time outshining Quavo on his own project. A large portion of the hour and six minute run time of “Quavo Huncho” is spent repeating the same phrase for entire choruses or laughably cheesy punch lines. Interestingly enough, the few highlights of the album seem to be when Quavo steps away from his trap comfort zone for a pop song.

Quavo has spent the last few years finding tons of success with his fellow Migos members, Takeoff and Offset. The groups biggest hit was “Bad and Boujee” in 2016 which peaked at Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Since then, Migos has had numerous songs crack the Top 10 such as “Motorsport,” “Stir Fry” and “Walk It Talk It.” Quavo has also been individually featured on popular tracks by Post Malone, Travis Scott and DJ Khaled.

The album begins with an eyebrow-raising female choir intro in “Biggest Alley Oop.” Unfortunately the interesting opening to the track quickly loses steam once getting into Quavo’s verses and chorus. “Pass Out” featuring 21 Savage is next up. The high energy track is currently the most popular on the album. 21 Savage is the stand out of this song with a catchy verse that includes multiple namedrops.

The next notable song is “Flip the Switch” featuring Drake. As expected, Drake outshines Quavo on this track. Even though the pair somewhat made it work, “Flip the Switch” could’ve used a harder beat to make it stand out.

A few forgettable songs later, “Champagne Rose” utilizes the interesting duo of Madonna and Cardi B. The techno beat for this song is actually pretty catchy and Cardi B does a great job rapping over it during her verse. They might as well have had Siri do Madonna’s robotic and creepy chorus though.

The album definitely improves in the second half. “Keep That Sh*t” and “F*ck 12” feature Quavo’s Migos partners Takeoff and Offset. Listening to these tracks make it clear how essential the two of them are to the success of the group as a whole. Both younger Migos have more natural hip hop flows. Quavo seems more comfortable rapping when he has his buddies ad-libbing in the background.

Next up on “Quavo Huncho” are a couple more features: “Lose It” featuring Lil Baby and “Rerun” featuring Travis Scott. After another mediocre verse by Quavo, Lil Baby steals the song with passionate lines.

It’s clear that Lil Baby is smoother and has much better flow. Travis Scott, who made a dual album with Quavo in 2017 called “Huncho Jack,” mumbles his verse on “Rerun.” Even though it’s hard to understand what he’s saying half the time, it ends up being pretty catchy.

On “Go All the Way,” Quavo finally delivers a quality song without a feature. Once again, he went with a techno-pop beat which seems to be working well on this album. The song is high-energy and Quavo effectively harmonizes along with the infectious beat. “Go All the Way” shows that the Migos leader definitely has some solo potential. It’s unfortunate that this was really the only song to showcase it.

“Quavo Huncho” finishes up with some more tracks with solid features. “Swing” featuring Normani and Davido is one of the lone gems of the entire album. The track includes a smooth guitar and excellent vocals. It wouldn’t be surprising to see this song near the top of the charts soon.

The final track is “Lost” featuring Kid Cudi. The strange robotic background works well with the melodies. “Lost” is able to end the underwhelming album on a positive note.

Ultimately Quavo needed a lot of help from features to make sure that “Quavo Huncho” wasn’t a complete disaster. Verses by 21 Savage, Lil Baby and Drake outshined anything that Quavo had to offer. This solo album shows the importance of Takeoff and Offset to Migos’ success. Hopefully Quavo can take from the gems of this album like “Go All the Way” and “Swing” to improve for his next solo project.

Rating: 1.5/5

Matt Souvigney is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.souvigney@uconn.edu.