Huskies in the Playoffs: George Springer, the new “Mr. October”

Boston Red Sox relief pitcher Matt Barnes throws against the Houston Astros in Game 2 of the American League Championship Series on Sunday, Oct. 14 in Boston. (Charles Krupa/AP)

With the elimination of the Colorado Rockies by the Milwaukee Brewers, UConn is down to two alumni in the MLB Playoffs. Scott Oberg, a reliever for the Rockies and a former Husky, was knocked out by the Brewers as he had a bit of a meltdown in the sixth inning of the final game of the NLDS. He allowed runs to score on a balk and a wild pitch during his outing, which put the game, and the series, out of reach for the Rockies.

Houston Astros outfielder George Springer and Boston Red Sox reliever Matt Barnes are still in it and they are facing off in the ALCS this postseason. Both players were drafted in the first round in 2011, as Springer was taken 11th by the Astros and Barnes was selected at the 19th slot. They both made their debuts in 2014, and Springer finished eighth in the American League Rookie of the Year race.

Springer became known as a postseason hero last World Series, when he hit five home runs throughout the seven-game set. He had a home run in each of the last four games on the way to the 2017 World Series MVP. This postseason has been no different, as he already has three home runs and sports a career 1.016 postseason OPS. It would not be unfair to dub him the new “Mr. October” as he has shown that when his name is called in October, he’s there to do damage.

In two games this postseason, Barnes has a 0.00 ERA over 4.2 innings with three strikeouts. He has been a key cog in the Red Sox bullpen this season. Frequently he has acted as the stopper for the struggling Red Sox starters. He has allowed only one of six inherited runners to score this postseason. While walks have been a bit of an issue for Barnes, he has kept runs off the board.

In the one at-bat of Springer versus Barnes, Springer was able to work the count to 3-2 before drawing a walk in Game 1 of the ALCS. The series is now tied 1-1 as it heads back to Houston for three games.

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu.