Ariana Grande and Pete Davidson split up

Pop star Ariana Grande broke off her engagement with Saturday Night Live comedian Pete Davidson after their relationship took a dark turn when her ex-boyfriend Mac Miller died of an apparent overdose.

Sunday night TMZ broke the news of the famous couple’s big split, and the Internet did what it does best: spread the news rapidly to every major publication in the United States. Grande was on every headline from People to the New York Times.

When TMZ broke the news, a source claimed the two celebrities said, “It just wasn't the right time to launch our relationship.” Later, TMZ released an article connecting Mac Miller’s overdose to the fall of their romantic relationship.

Grande struggled with Miller’s overdose. This led to her commitment and investment in the relationship at hand, according to TMZ. She rushed into the relationship with Davidson by getting engaged quickly, and Grande realized this when the death of her ex-boyfriend hit her emotionally.

Though all sources claim that it was Grande’s realization of commitment and investment, some fans are not convinced. There is an exposé account on Instagram that claims Grande recently found out Davidson planned to send intimate photos of him and Grande to Miller to make sure he wasn't a threat prior to Miller’s death. Some fans think this assumption could have contributed to Grande’s decision to break it off.

“According to TMZ, Pete Davidson would have sent intimate photos with Ariana to Mac Miller, with a way to end the rapper’s hopes of rekindling a relationship with her,” a post stated on the @expsingcelebs Instagram page.

Since Grande’s fans found out about the split, there have been many exposing posts and references to interviews about Davidson’s attitude towards his relationship with Grande. It was pointed out by one fan that he even joked about replacing her birth control with Tic-Tacs during a skit aired on SNL. There were various interviews, including one with Howard Stern, regarding their relationship in which Davidson made vulgar and sexual comments about Grande and their intimate moments.

Grande has sat back on this publicity disaster, only sharing a tweet about her favorite musical Wicked, which she has been recently included in, according to her tweet.

“Honored to be included in this celebration of 15 years of my favorite musical of all time wouldn’t miss it for the whole universe #wicked15,” Grande said.

Davidson has not commented about the breakup and even deleted his Twitter account, presumably due to the allegations made by passionate Ariana Grande fans.

Madison Appleby is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at madison.appleby@uconn.edu.