Top Husky performances of the week

Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky fights off a South Florida defender during a game on Thursday, Sept. 27 at Morrone Stadium. (Nicholas Hampton, Associate Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

UConn’s sports teams had a good past weekend with many players stepping up and leading their teams to victory.

The most impressive win of the weekend came from the women’s soccer team, which has struggled quite a bit this season. On Sunday, the Huskies nabbed their first American Athletic Conference win of the season by defeating Cincinnati 4-0.

Sophomore Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky, affectionately known as “DK,” scored a hat trick in the match. The last time a UConn player scored a hat trick was Rachel Hill in 2013. DK started in only two matches last season, but this season she leads the team in goals.

So far this season, the Huskies are 3-11 overall and 1-4 in the American.

UConn women’s hockey also had an impressive weekend; they beat Holy Cross 7-2 on Saturday. On Friday, the Huskies lost 5-3 to UNH, but the team was able to recover to seal a win on Saturday.

Freshman Samantha Carpentier-Yelle made her first career start at goal for UConn in the game. She made 19 saves in 59 minutes of ice time. Carpentier-Yelle is poised to be next in the line of great goalies that the program has produced. Last season, Hockey East Goaltender of the Year Annie Belanger graduated. Belanger finished her career at UConn as the all-time leader in save percentage (.928).

In 2016, UConn graduated Elaine Chuli, the team’s goaltender, who was named team MVP for three straight seasons. In 2016, Chuli was named to the American Hockey Coaches Association All-America Second Team. She recorded 3,467 saves in her career, the most in program history.

The women’s hockey team is 4-1-0 overall this season and 2-1-0 in Hockey East play.

On the men’s side of the rink, the hockey team opened their season with a 5-2 win at Army West Point on Friday night. While five different Huskies scored in the game, rookie Ruslan Iskhakov scored his first career goal in addition to nabbing an assist. Iskhakov was drafted 43rd overall by the New York Islanders in the 2018 NHL Entry Draft. The men’s hockey home opener will be Friday, Oct. 26 at the XL Center in Hartford.

UConn’s volleyball team recorded a solid win this weekend when they defeated UCF 3-1. Freshman Kennadie Jake-Turner was the driving force in the win as she recorded a new personal season high in kills with 11. Jake-Tuner also led the match in hitting percentage (.714) and recorded five blocks and an assist.

So far this season the Huskies are 11-9 overall and 3-4 in AAC action.

Men’s soccer went through a nail biter on Friday when their match against UCF resulted in a scoreless double overtime draw. The match between the AAC’s top two teams proved to be pretty even although quite a few fouls were called. UCF committed 18 fouls, while UConn committed just six. A bright spot in the match was goalkeeper Austin Aviza, a redshirt junior who sat out last season due to transfer rules. Aviza made three saves in the match to keep the Knights scoreless.

So far this season, men’s soccer is 7-2-2.

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.