UConn Remains On Top of the American

The Men's Soccer team defeats Boston College 3-2 on Tuesday night. Their next home game is this coming Saturday at 7 against Temple University.

Photo by Charlotte Lao, Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

After going 2-0 last weekend, UConn kept rolling, tying on Friday and winning on Tuesday.

UConn came into the weekend’s set of games leading the conference in first place, with a 7-2-1 record. On Friday, they faced third-ranked UCF in Orlando, Fla., and went to double overtime, but the game ended in a tie, 0-0. If UCF were to have won that game, UConn would have fell out of first place. The Huskies had many opportunities to take the game from UCF, but failed to capitalize. On Tuesday, sophomore Josh Burnett scored two goals alongside senior Abdou Mbacke Thiam’s one goal, to lead the Huskies to a 3-2 victory against Boston College. UConn was able to stave off a late comeback as the Eagles scored two late goals. With Tuesday’s win, UConn kept first place in the conference at 8-2-2. UConn is now ranked 13th in the nation.

UConn’s Friday night opponent UCF was able to bounce back after the grueling tie on Friday to defeat Florida Gulf Coast 5-1 Tuesday. UCF currently holds the No. 3 spot in the conference at 9-2-2. UCF is ranked 23rd in the nation.

USF is second in the division still, even with a record of 5-5-2. They are tied with UConn in conference points with eight. Over the weekend, USF only played one game against Temple and won 3-2. The game went to overtime and senior Tomasz Skublak capitalized on an opportunity, scoring in the 99th minute with a corner kick.

The Cincinnati Bearcats continued to struggle over the weekend and sunk deeper into last place in the conference. They fell Saturday to Tulsa 1-0 to a late-game goal from a cross. They then traveled to Fort Wayne, Ind., to face Fort Wayne, and lost another close one 1-0. These are two demoralizing losses for a team whose season seems to be lost. The Bearcats are 3-10-1.

Even with the win against Cincinnati Saturday, Tulsa did not climb in the standings, staying at seventh place. They did not play any other games however, but they must prepare to play 65th ranked Memphis on Friday.

Temple fell short over the weekend as well, dropping two games on Friday to USF 2-3 and on Monday 2-3 to Pitt. Temple is at the bottom of the division at 4-7-3.

Daniel Dashefsky is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached at daniel.dashefsky@uconn.edu.