Spooky Season Spirit

IMAGE DISTRIBUTED FOR NINTENDO OF AMERICA - Joshua A., 9, and Jacob A., 6, of Brooklyn, NY, get into the Halloween spirit during a special event at the Nintendo NY store in Rockefeller Plaza by joining Luigi for a ghost-hunting activity, on Sunday, Oct. 7, 2018, in New York. The spooky classic game Luigi's Mansion will be available for the Nintendo 3DS family of systems on Oct. 12. (Diane Bondareff/AP Images for Nintendo of America)

Get into the haunting spirit with the array of Halloween and fall-themed events on campus and around the area.

The Student Board of Governors planned to kick off this month of wicked fun with Spooky Saturday last week before it was postponed due to inclement weather, but there’s plenty more to take part in before you don your costume for everybody’s favorite fall holiday. From haunted houses to corn mazes to festivals, you’ll be sure to find something for you and your friends to take part in.

Nightmare Acres (South Windsor)

This haunted attraction in the woods of South Windsor is open 7-10 p.m. on Friday and Saturday nights until Nov. 3. Self-proclaimed as a place where “nightmares become reality,” the Nightmare Acres was a “Top Rated Attraction” by CT Haunted Houses. Tickets are $15-$20. Come here if you’re looking for an interactive and chilling experience!

Trail of Terror (Wallingford)

Although a little further away, the ride and equally long line are worth it to experience what is publicized as one of “Connecticut’s scariest Halloween attractions.” The theme of the haunted trail through the woods changes yearly, this year being “Fear Takes Root.” The theme draws from classic horror and targets people’s fears. Make sure to grab a ticket ($15-$20) and catch a ride to Wallingford on either Friday or Saturday night until Oct. 28 if you want a classic scare.

Great Pumpkin Festival (Putnam)

If you’re not necessarily looking for a scare, but still something with the Halloween spirit, head on over to downtown Putnam for a free and fun fall event packed with food, live entertainment, arts and crafts and of course a great pumpkin! The festival is this Saturday, 10 a.m. until 4 p.m., which is plenty of time to grab friends for some much-needed fun after midterm season.

Corn Maze at Foster Farm (South Windsor)

Take part in a quintessential Halloween event by walking through the Foster Family Farm’s corn maze! The Enchanted Forest theme is sure to keep your spirits up in the dropping October temperature. Open every day in October, the classic corn maze is open until 9:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday and until 6 p.m. the rest of the week. The farm is also host to thematic “Nightmazes” on Friday and Saturday, 6-9:30 p.m. Visitors are suggested to bring a flashlight, so don’t be afraid of getting lost!

Pumpkin Picking at Wright’s Orchard (Tolland)

If you haven’t gotten anything to decorate your dorm room yet, have no fear! Wright’s Orchard in nearby Tolland has an assortment of pumpkins for you and roommates to carve up and display. The orchard is open 1-5:30 p.m. Afterwards, take a walk through the apple orchard area to stock up on more fall fruits.

Whether you want a good scare through the woods, an all-day festival or a wholesome visit to the farm, there’s definitely some fall activity for you to partake in when you want a break from classes or from assembling the perfect Halloween costume. Connecticut isn’t known as one of the spookiest states for nothing!

Hollie Lao is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at hollianne.lao@uconn.edu.