Melissa’s Menu: Hummus three ways

Hummus originated in the Middle East and consists mainly of chickpeas and tahini. It’s packed with minerals, vitamins and healthy fats and is an easy snack to make. (Hungry Dudes/Flickr Creative Commons)

It’s easy to make, delicious and a perfect snack: It’s hummus! Hummus is not only a yummy snack, but it’s also a much healthier option than many other dips. The dip originated in the Middle East and consists mainly of chickpeas and tahini. It’s packed with minerals, vitamins and healthy fats. This week I’m sharing a delicious classic hummus recipe, as well as two more unique recipes. Whether you choose to make just one or all three, you definitely won’t be disappointed.

Classic Hummus

Ingredients

1 can (14 ounces) of chickpeas
2 cloves of garlic

1/4 cup of tahini sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of cumin
1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes

1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons of water
Chopped fresh parsley, to serve

Directions

Add chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice and seasonings to the bowl of a two-quart food processor. Blend until smooth. While blending, slowly add in the olive oil and water until the hummus is creamy and smooth. Garnish with additional red pepper flakes, chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil.

Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Ingredients

2 bell peppers, seeded and quartered
1 can (14 ounces) of chickpeas
1 clove of garlic
3 tablespoons of tahini sauce
2 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 teaspoon of smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the peppers on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and roast for 20-25 minutes, or until peppers are fragrant and the skin has charred.
Allow peppers to cool before peeling away the charred skin. Add roasted peppers, chickpeas, garlic, tahini, lemon juice, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to the bowl of a two-quart food processor. Blend until smooth. While blending, slowly add in the olive oil until the hummus is creamy and smooth. Garnish with finely chopped bell pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.

Avocado Hummus

Ingredients

1 can (14 ounces) of chickpeas

1 avocado
1 clove garlic
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
1/4 cup of fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon of cumin
1 tablespoon of lime juice
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
fresh cilantro, to serve

Directions

Add chickpeas, avocado, garlic, lime juice and seasonings to the bowl of a two-quart food processor. Blend until smooth. While blending, slowly add in the olive oil until hummus is creamy and smooth. Garnish with chopped cilantro, some diced tomatoes and a drizzle of olive oil.

Melissa Scrivani is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.