Men’s Soccer: Huskies look to stay hot against Providence

Dylan Greenberg brings the ball up the field during a game against USF on Saturday, Sept. 22 at Morrone Stadium. (Nicholas Hampton, Associate Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team will take a quick break from conference play on Tuesday night, traveling to Providence to take on the Friars.

It’s been exactly one month since the Huskies (5-2-1, 1-0-1 The American) last lost a game, when they fell to No. 2 Indiana on Sept. 2. UConn currently rides a four-game unbeaten streak, most recently defeating Memphis on Friday night for their first win against a conference opponent.

History will also be thoroughly on the Huskies’ side, as UConn leads the all-time series with Providence 34-6-2. The teams met last season, when then-junior Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored a late game-winner to give UConn a 1-0 victory.

Thiam has picked up right where he left off, having another stellar season for UConn. The senior forward leads the team with six goals and 14 points, including three game-winners.

The Friars, who play in the Big East, enter Tuesday’s match with a 5-4-1 overall record, 2-1 against conference opponents. That includes a head-turning win over No. 22 Xavier on Saturday, when they shutout Musketeers and notched two goals of their own.

Providence is led offensively by midfielder Tiago Mendonca who leads the team in goals scored (4), points (8) and shots (24). It’s a balanced attack for the Friars, with 13 different players having recorded a point so far. Redshirt senior Colin Manner mans the goal for Providence, having made 30 saves this year with a .682 save percentage.

Over the weekend, UConn senior Jacob Hauser-Ramsey was named the American Athletic Conference Defensive Player of the Week for the second time this season. The unquestioned leader of the Huskies’ defense, Hauser-Ramsey was key in UConn’s shutout against Memphis on Friday, holding the Tigers to just four shots on goal.

Freshman Ibrahima Diop also added his name to the conference record books, earning Rookie of the Week honors after scoring the put-away goal on Friday. Dayonn Harris and Alex Aviza were both named to the conference Weekly Honor Roll squad.

With weekend play wrapped up, UConn officially sits atop the American standings in a tie with USF, against which the Huskies played to a 2-2 draw back on Sept. 22. Since Providence is a non-conference opponent, UConn will not have a chance to add to its conference point total until Saturday when Cincinnati comes to town.

Tuesday’s match against Providence kicks off 7 p.m., as the Huskies look to extend their unbeaten streak past the one-month mark.

Andrew Morrison is the associate sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at andrew.morrison@uconn.edu. He tweets at @asmor24.