Recap of the top Huskies over the weekend

Ibrahima Diop dodges a USF defender during a game on Saturday, Sept. 22 at Morrone Stadium. (Nick Hampton, Associate Photo Editor/The Daily Campus)

During the football, field hockey, soccer, women’s ice hockey and volleyball action over the weekend, there were quite a few Huskies that stood out. Let’s take a look at a few of the notable performances.

Cecile Pieper, Field Hockey

The redshirt senior from Germany continued to impress for the Huskies during the 2017 NCAA Championship game rematch against the Maryland Terrapins. Although the Huskies dropped their first game, by a score of 4-2, since 2016, Pieper came up big as she has for much of the season. Her two goals were the only goals that the Huskies could muster against Maryland. Each of her goals came in the final 10 minutes of play. On the season, she leads the team in goals (14) to go with her six assists.

Aaron McLean, Football

The UConn football team dropped their fourth game of the season, this time to conference-foe Cincinnati. However, the Huskies tight end impressed for the offense, reeling in four grabs for 97 yards. The most pivotal play of the game came right before half, with the Huskies down by a touchdown on the 21-yard line. Quarterback David Pindell found McLean in the end zone, but he was ruled out of bounds. Had the Huskies tied with Cincinnati before the half, it could have been a different ball game.

Ibrahima Diop, Men’s Soccer

The Huskies got their first road win of the season, 2-0, against the Memphis Tigers Friday night. While the defense impressed for the Huskies, as it usually does, freshman Diop was able to score his first career goal towards the end of the game to seal the deal for UConn. The win put the Huskies at 5-2-1 on the season, tied for first with USF in the American conference.

Caylee Parker, Volleyball

Freshman Parker has been a pivotal reason why the UConn volleyball team is 10-6, 2-1 this season, and Friday night against Temple was no different. Parker dominated around the net and finished the match with 18 kills to lead the team. Through 16 games, Parker leads the team in kills (219) and kills-per-set (3.84). Their next matchup will be against ECU Friday at 7 p.m. in Gampel Pavilion.

Morgan Wabick, Women’s Ice Hockey

To open the season, the UConn women’s hockey team defeated St. Cloud State 3-2 for both of their games on Friday and Saturday. During Saturday’s contest, sophomore Wabick made her presence felt early and often. Just about eight minutes into the game, Wabick was able to net the first goal of the afternoon to give UConn the early lead. The Huskies were able to break a 2-2 tie with about five minutes left, off an assist from Wabick to Camryn Wong. The sophomore finished the game with a goal and two assists.

Michael Logan is the sports editor for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.logan@uconn.edu.