‘Daredevil’ season three reminds viewers how great Netflix series can be

Last Friday, Netflix released season three of “Daredevil” and reminded viewers why the Marvel and Netflix collaborations were great in the first place. A warning to readers: there are many spoilers ahead.

Season three picks off where “The Defenders” left off with Matt Murdock, played by Charlie Cox, lying on a bed and being taken care of by nuns after a building collapsed on him and his ex-girlfriend-turned-public enemy, Electra. With his body and spirit broken, Matt has to figure out how to either mend his own life with that of Daredevil’s, or leave one behind forever.

Karen and Foggy, played by Deborah Ann Woll and Elden Henson respectively, struggle to accept Matt’s death until he reveals that he’s still alive. This is after none other than Wilson Fisk, aka Kingpin, cons his way out of the prison cell Matt put him in at the end of season one. This time, Fisk has the FBI, and other key players in Hell’s Kitchen, under his thumb.

The FBI introduces two of the season’s new characters: special agents Rahul “Ray” Nadeem and Benjamin “Dex” Poindexter. Portrayed by Jay Ali, Nadeem is in charge of the Fisk taskforce and responsible for turning Fisk into an FBI informant, as well as getting him out of prison after he is stabbed by an inmate.

While escorting Fisk from jail to a safe house, Fisk’s detail is attacked by his rivals in Hell’s Kitchen. As Fisk’s armored car is surrounded by people trying to kill him, Dex takes them out one by one with head shots, saving Fisk. In saving Fisk, Dex earns his loyalty and Fisk manipulates Dex into trusting him.

The series really takes off during the prison fight sequence in episode four, when you realize just how little control Daredevil has over his body after surviving the collapse, allowing Fisk to gain power again. Just when Matt seems to win one round against Fisk’s hired prison guards or inmates, he turns the corner to another fresh line to the point where you know that even if Matt fights for his life, it won’t be enough.

This scene showed how much power prison had given Fisk. Both Fisk’s rise to power after orchestrating his escape from prison and how they manage to put him back behind bars were equally astounding and well written. His rise and fall had very few moments that felt too easy or convenient, a testament to the show’s writers.

As the season unfolds, we learn more about Dex, Karen and Matt’s tortured backstories and how they reckon their pasts with the things that Fisk makes them do. After two seasons of “Daredevil” and one of the “Punisher,” Karen finally revealed her secret past and how she accidentally killed her brother.

Dex’s character was interesting because at first, he felt like another invincible soldier, something we’ve seen before in the “Daredevil” universe with the Punisher. But then, as his family and his mental health are revealed, we see that the same rage that gives the Punisher a focal point pushes Dex towards his own demise.

While a fourth season hasn’t been confirmed yet, I would venture to say that we haven’t seen the last of Dex, and he’ll be back as soon as he grows a spine outside of Fisk’s influence. I also predict that we’ll see how Matt finds a balance between his life with Karen and Foggy and his life fighting crime. I also can’t wait to see who rises up in Fisk’s wake, if he’s actually gone for good.

5/5

Alexis Taylor is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at alexis.taylor@uconn.edu.