Michael Myers is back and better than ever

Forty years later, Michael Myers has returned to continue his brutal killing spree in 2018’s newest thriller “Halloween.” This installment of the Halloween film series is a direct sequel to the 1978 film of the same name. Stars Jamie Lee Curtis and Nick Castle return to reprise their roles as Laurie Strode and Michael Myers.

The large gap between this movie and the original means the main characters have aged considerably. Myers, who is now pushing into his sixties, has spent the last 40 years in a mental hospital. Despite being studied by numerous doctors and scientists, no one has been able to figure Myers out, or even gotten him to speak. Myer’s current psychiatrist Dr. Ranbir Sartain, played by Haluk Bilginer, seems to have a particular obsession with getting the killer to articulate his rage.

While nothing new has developed with Myers, Strode has gone through a lot in the 40 years since the killing spree. Being the lone survivor of that fateful night left Strode with severe PTSD. Her entire life is consumed with preparing for Myer’s inevitable return. This constant fear has caused her to have multiple divorces as well as cost her the relationships she had with her daughter Karen and granddaughter Allyson. Karen tried to cut off all ties with her mom after a childhood full of anxiety and nightmares of the “boogeyman.” She tries her best to shield her daughter Allyson from the influence of Strode. This frayed relationship creates an interesting dynamic when Strode’s paranoia turns into a spine-chilling threat against their lives.

After the bus transferring inmates crashes on the side of the road, Myer’s is free to continue his killing spree. On his way to exact revenge on Strode for escaping him in 1978, Myers leaves behind an impressive amount of bodies, even for today’s film standards. The psychopath shows no sign of his age as he gruesomely overpowers grown adults on his mission to find Strode.

One of the hidden gems of this frightful slasher is the young boy being babysat by one of Allyson’s friends. He provided excellent comedic relief in the middle of the action. Somehow he even managed to crack hilarious jokes as his babysitter was getting murdered in the background.

The outstanding performance of the film was without a doubt Curtis as Strode. She did an excellent job playing a PTSD victim with constant anxiety and paranoia. She also was a familiar character to link the sequel and original. The suspense behind the film rested on her inevitable battle with Myers, which was extremely thrilling. The fiery conclusion offered relief to the viewers while also maintaining a certain amount of ambiguity, which could hint at another film.

As someone who generally isn’t a fan of horror films, I took a step out of my comfort zone to go see this suspenseful slasher. “Halloween” definitely did not disappoint. I found myself on the edge of my seat every time Myer’s shadowy figure appeared in the background of the screen. There was also a surprising amount of comedic moments sprinkled throughout, which I thoroughly enjoyed. My only warning about “Halloween” is that the film gets pretty gory, so if you’re someone who is easily grossed out, this might not be the one for you.

Rating: 4/5

Matt Souvigney is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at matthew.souvigney@uconn.edu.