Swimming and Diving: Both UConn teams victorious in home opener

FILE- UConn Swimming and Diving is back in Storrs after a long offseason. (Charlotte Lao/ The Daily Campus)

The UConn men and women's swimming and diving teams won their first home meets Saturday at the Wolff-Zackin Natatorium. The men defeated Southern Connecticut State, 168-104 and the women beat Southern Connecticut, 175-102, and Central Connecticut State, 164-82. 

Huskies dominated the meet, finishing in first in almost every event. Many underclassmen showed great performances as well as some of the veterans.  

Jack Gray

Freshman Jack Gray placed first in the 4th event, the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 9:47.16 

Colby Prouty 

Freshman Colby Prouty came in first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 57.1 and in the 22nd event, the 200-yard breaststroke with a time 2:10.20. 

Ryan Dulaney 

Sophomore Ryan Dulaney placed first in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 5:09.97 and also in the 1000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:33.88. 

Julie Hu 

Senior Julie Hu placed first in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:06.36 and first in the 200-yard breaststroke with a time of 2:23.21.  

Jackie Van Lew 

Senior Jackie Van Lew placed first in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 1:53.66 and in the 100-yard freestyle with a time of 52.08. 

"Overall, it was a lot of fun," coach Chris Maiello said. "I really like watching our team compete at home and they did a good job. We had a lot of people either sick or injured and we had some student-athletes step up in their place. Now we just need to continue to trust in the training and use this as a building block moving forward." 

The Huskies are set out to face Army in Westpoint, New York on Saturday, Oct. 27 at 12 p.m. 

Julia Dowd is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at julia.dowd@uconn.edu.