Women’s Soccer: Senior day and last game at Morrone 

This past week, the UConn women’s soccer team played its last games ever at Morrone Stadium in addition to celebrating the five graduating seniors on the team.  

On Thursday, the Huskies lost 1-2 to No. 22 Memphis.  

On Sunday, the squad played their last game at Morrone. UConn lost 3-0 to Tulsa. Sunday was also senior day in which seniors Kim Urbanek, Elena Santos, Emily Costanzo, Liane Keegans and Heidi Druehl were honored.  

UConn and Tulsa jockey for the ball during a game on Oct. 21, 2018. (Eric Wang/ The Daily Campus)

“This senior class is big,” head coach Margaret Rodriguez said. “They’re integral pieces. They’ve been huge role players for us, freshman year, sophomore year, junior year and now they’re stepping up into leadership roles.” 

Rodriguez also spoke about the disappointment of losing on senior day.  

“Everyone wants to win on their senior day,” Rodriguez said. “You want to go out on a high note. You want the seniors to feel good about that result. I know my seniors. I know they have a lot of pride in their work ethic.”  

For the Huskies last game at Morrone, alumni came back to see the stadium one last time.  

“The atmosphere was great,” Rodriguez said. “We had a good crowd. I think a lot of alumni came back for it. Unfortunately, that atmosphere was a little lackluster as the game went on because it was sort of a dull performance.”  

Morrone Stadium was built in 1969 and named after former UConn men’s soccer coach Joe Morrone.  

“The stadium’s just a part of the history,” Rodriguez said. “There’s been a lot of wins at this stadium, a lot of NCAA tournament games in this stadium. The stadium is iconic for the women’s soccer program.”  

On Saturday, Oct. 27, after the final men’s regular season home game there will be a “sunset” for Morrone Stadium featuring Dairy Bar ice cream.  

“As a player we had a lot of wins...,” Rodriguez said. “We had some good seasons.”  

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.