Around the American: UCF keeps rolling, Cincy upset

No. 10 UCF 37, ECU 10 

No. 10 UCF (7-0, 4-0) held their lead in the East with a 37-10 win over ECU (2-5, 0-4) Saturday. The Knights were led by their ground game, rushing for a total of 316 yards and two touchdowns. QB tandem Daniel Mack Jr. and Quadry Jones combined for 111 yards and one touchdown. UCF starred on defense with four fumble recoveries, one of which was returned for a 94-yard touchdown by OLB Nate Evans Jr. Kicker Matthew Wright was 3-3 on FG attempts, drilling 39, 41 and 46 yarders.  

ECU was led by QB Holton Ahlers’ 406 yards in the air with one touchdown. They focused on the passing game, completing 29 of 53 attempts. Ahlers did swallow three sacks from the UCF defense, but he also added 92 yards on the ground. ECU was able to sack UCF Quarterbacks three time throughout the contest.  

No. 20 Cincinnati 17, Temple 24 

FILE - In this Sept. 1, 2018, file photo, Houston defensive tackle Ed Oliver (10) jumps over Rice offensive lineman Uzoma Osuji during a NCAA college football game, in Houston. (AP Photo/Michael Wyke, File)

Temple (5-3, 3-0) was able to overcome No. 20 Cincinnati (6-1, 2-1) in overtime to take the second spot in the East. Temple QB Anthony Russo threw for three touchdowns and 237 yards, completing a pass to eight different receivers. Cincinnati’s Michael Warren and Charles McClealland each took a rush to the house, combining for a total 202 yards on the ground.  

Houston 49, Navy 36 

Houston (6-1, 3-0) spread the ball around as they got 413 passing yards from QB D’Eriq King and 157 yards on the ground from a multitude of players. King threw three touchdowns, all to different receivers. He also added a rushing score. WR Marquez Stevenson had 141 yards in the air, WR Keith Corbin had 104 yards and a touchdown and WR Courtney Lark had 106 yards and a touchdown. Houston CB Nick Watkins also returned an interception 50 yards for a touchdown. Houston holds the top spot in the West.  

Navy’s (2-5, 1-3) game was more focused on the running game, as they ran for a combined 344 yards and four touchdowns. However, WR Taylor Jackson did get 120 receiving yards across five completions, with one score. Navy sits in fifth place in the West. 

SMU 27, Tulane 23  

With a 27-23 win over Tulane, SMU (3-4, 2-1) is in second place in the West. SMU QB Ben Hicks threw for 291 yards and three touchdowns, with a 52.5 percent completion percentage in 40 pass attempts. WR James Proche caught the winner with 1:15 left on the clock in the Fourth Quarter and brought it 67 yards to the house. SMU CB Donnie Lewis returned an interception 49 yards for a touchdown in the third. They also recovered two Tulane fumbles throughout the game.  

Tulane (2-5, 1-2) sits in third place in the West with this loss. They had an almost even attacking split as they threw for 153 yards and ran for 168. They scored twice on the ground as RB D. Bradwell and J. Banks each ran one in. The Tulane defense recovered two SMU fumbles throughout the game and picked off Hicks.  

Missouri 65, Memphis 33 

In this out of Conference matchup, Memphis (4-4, 1-3) lost 65-33 versus Missouri (4-3, 0-3). Missouri QB Drew Lock threw for 350 yards and four touchdowns alongside a strong running performance from RB Larry Rountree who posted 118 rushing yards and three scores. Missouri CB Christi Holmes ran back an interception 42 yards for a touchdown in the second quarter. This was one of two of Missouri’s interceptions.  

Memphis got two scores each from QB Brady White and RB Patrick Taylor. White threw for 203 yards but was sacked three times and picked twice.  

Arkansas 23, Tulsa 0 

Tulsa (1-6, 0-3) finished out the standings in the West as they were blanked by Arkansas (2-6, 0-4) 23-0. Tulsa QB Seth Boomer was only able to complete eight passes for 127 yards in this contest. Tulsa Kicker Nate Walker missed both of his FG attempts, one from 28 yards and one from 42 yards. The Tulsa defense was able to recover a fumble and pick off Arkansas QB Connor Noland. Noland threw for 124 yards and one score in this game. Arkansas Kicker Connor Limpert made all three of his kicks from 24, 33 and 35 yards respectively. 

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu .