Halloween-inspired makeup that will enhance any costume 

Makeup is an easy way to dress up this Halloween if you don’t have a lot of free time on your hands. (Michael Gabelmann/Flickr Creative Commons)

Planning a Halloween costume in college can be a difficult task, especially if you don’t have a lot of free time on your hands or a car on campus. Makeup can be a great solution: it can be done last minute, is affordable and can pull together almost any getup. You don’t need to be a pro at makeup to use it for Halloween, there are many ideas that are really simple and easy but still look amazing. Whether you’re looking to center your costume around some elaborate face makeup or are just looking to enhance your costume, these looks are sure to help you kill it at any Halloween party.

Vampire/Zombie

These looks are slightly different, but both are really easy. With some red lipstick you can easily draw lines of blood running from your mouth or draw streaks on your neck or chest, which is pretty much all you need for this look. If you’re being a zombie you can use dark eyeshadow around your eyes and as contour to make yourself look, well, dead. To enhance your vampire look you can also use dark eyeshadow around your eyes. For both of these costumes you can wear clothes you already own, wear all black for a vampire or cut up a big t-shirt for a zombie.

Mermaid

With a piece of fishnet material and a colorful eyeshadow palette you can easily transform yourself into a mysterious creature of the sea. Place the fishnet on the desired part of your face/body (I recommend around your hairline) and simply color over it with your choice of eyeshadow to create very realistic-looking scales. Colors such as blue, pink and purple are perfect for this but you can use any color you want. Glitter and sparkly eyeshadow can create a shimmery effect that looks amazing. If you want to go all out, wear a matching lip color.

Sugar Skull

Dia de los Muertos, or the Day of the Dead, is a Mexican holiday that begins on Halloween and ends on Nov. 2. The holiday is focused around friends and family to gather together and pray for their deceased loved ones. One of the symbols of the holiday is the sugar skull, which is a colorfully decorated with various patterns and flowers, crosses or hearts. Drawing a sugar skull on your face definitely requires a lot of skill, but if you’re good at drawing and/or makeup this is definitely something worth a try. It can be done with regular makeup (as long as you have bold colors) or face paint.

Scarecrow

This is something that pretty much anyone could handle, and it’s actually much cuter than it sounds. All you need is some eyeliner to draw stitching on your face, and you can add something a little extra such as colorful cheeks or freckles if you wanna go all out. Pair the makeup with a straw hat and a flannel and you’re all set!

Wednesday Addams

Wednesday Addams is one of the creepiest but also cutest Halloween characters, and it’s also a very easy and recognizable costume. You obviously will need pigtail braids and her iconic white-collared black dress, but wearing the right makeup for this costume will make all the difference. Go for a paler-than-normal face with dark eyeliner and a dark lip. This is an example of a simple costume that can become a much more put together look with the help of some simple makeup.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.