Melissa’s Menu: Chai-spiced cheesecake muffins

This week’s Melissa’s Menu takes chai to the next level: chai-spiced cheesecake muffins. (tasty.co/screenshot)

Fall is the perfect time for cinnamon and other warm spices. Chai is the embodiment of all of these spices blended together in a drink, coming together like a warm hug in a mug. Chai is a tea that originated in India and is made by blending milk, sugar and spices such as cinnamon and cardamom. This week’s Melissa’s Menu takes chai to the next level: chai-spiced cheesecake muffins. They’re sweet, full of all your favorite chai spices and best served on a cool fall day!

Ingredients (for 16 muffins)

1 ¾ cups of all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons of cinnamon
½ teaspoon of ground ginger
½ teaspoon of ground cardamom
½ teaspoon of nutmeg
1 teaspoon of baking soda
½ teaspoon of salt
2 cups of applesauce
1 ¼ cups of brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
½ cup of vegetable oil
For cheesecake filling:
8 oz of cream cheese, room temperature
¼ cup of granulated sugar
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
nonstick cooking spray, for greasing

Directions

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, nutmeg, baking soda and salt with a fork. In a separate large bowl, combine the applesauce, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla and vegetable oil. Mix with a fork, then gradually incorporate the dry ingredients until the batter is thick and smooth. To make the cheesecake filling, use a fork to mix together the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla until fluffy and smooth in a medium-sized bowl. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin with nonstick spray. Scoop a spoonful of muffin batter into each cup. Add a teaspoon of cheesecake filling to the center of each cup. Use a toothpick to swirl the cheesecake into the batter. Bake for 18 minutes, or until the muffins are springy and lightly browned around the edges. Let cool for at least five minutes before serving.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.