Men’s Soccer: UConn looks to stay hot at home against streaking Vermont

The Men's Soccer team defeats Temple University in a close game 2-1 on one of their final home games this season. They improve their record to 9-2-2.Soccer team defeats Temple University in a close game 2-1 on one of their final home games this season. They improve their record to 9-2-2 (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn men’s soccer team will look to add another win to their 8-0-1 home record Tuesday night against the University of Vermont.

No. 20 UConn (9-2-2) would love to cap off Morrone Stadium’s final season with an undefeated home record, but UVM (10-5-0) won’t be an easy opponent for the Huskies.

UVM is 3-1 in their last four games, so they’ve hit a groove at this point in the season. Over those four games, they are outscoring opponents 8-5.

Junior Jon Arnar Barddal was just named the America East conference offensive player of the week after scoring the game-winning goal in UVM’s most recent 2-1 win over Stony Brook. Keeping Barddal under control will be the focus of UConn’s defense come Tuesday night.

The Huskies are coming off a 2-1 win of their own, and Abdou Mbacke Thiam was the guy that made it happen. After trailing 1-0 coming out of halftime, two second-half goals from Thiam gave UConn their ninth win of the season. Thiam is second in the American Athletic Conference (AAC) and tied for 13th in all of NCAA Division I men’s soccer in goals this season with 11.

Thiam was named AAC Player of the Week thanks to his performance over the last week, in which he scored three goals, an assist and two wins.

Though 10 wins is impressive in its own right, UVM hasn’t played well against the better competition on their schedule. The Catamounts are 0-2-0 in games against ranked opponents this season, and the Huskies (ranked No. 20 in the United Coaches Poll) haven’t once lost to an unranked opponent this season.

The biggest advantage that UConn holds over UVM is home field. While you have to go back to last season to find out when the Huskies’ last home loss was, UVM is 2-4-0 on the road this season.

The game will kick off at 7 p.m. Tuesday night at Morrone Stadium.

Sean Janos is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at sean.janos@uconn.edu.