GoPuff comes to Storrs

GoPuff, an on-demand convenience store delivery system, has just launched in Storrs to serve the University of Connecticut community.

GoPuff offers 24/7 delivery service of convenience store items with a flat delivery rate of $1.95.

“GoPuff represents the biggest change in convenience today as we can bring students the stuff they want, when they need it, 24/7,” goPuff Director of Communications Elizabeth Romaine said.

GoPuff is headquartered in Philadelphia and was founded in 2013 by two Drexel University students, Yakir Gola and Rafael Illishayev. They didn’t want to make as many trips to the store for parties, so Gola and Illishayev got creative and started drafting a business plan.

The company started out with Gola and Illishayev hand-delivering items to students around their campus. This quickly took off, and after only five years, goPuff is currently operating in over 40 locations within the United States and is continuing to grow each month.

Many of the locations are focused within college towns and metro areas such as Atlanta, Boston and Chicago. The most popular delivery times are 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

GoPuff recently launched the first Connecticut market in Storrs with the goal of serving UConn students. Users can use the website or download the free app, which is offered for both Apple and Android devices, to place orders.

“I think it’s really convenient for college students, especially ones who don’t have cars on campus and want to get stuff from the store,” a third semester psychological sciences major Danielle Capuano said.

The typical items delivered range from snacks, drinks and household products to office supplies and toiletries. Romaine said that the most popular items ordered in Storrs are Ben & Jerry’s Half-Baked ice cream, Flamin’ Hot Cheetos, Nerds Rope and Kraft Mac & Triple Cheese.

GoPuff is different from other delivery systems, such as Uber eats and Grubhub, because there is no third party involved.

“GoPuff is unique from other delivery services in that we have centrally located warehouses stocked with inventory in each city we operate, allowing us to fully control the experience” Romaine said.

Having full control over the entire process allows the company to be in charge from the time that users order on the app to when the products are delivered and guarantees delivery within 30 minutes of order time. Orders can be paid for with either cash or credit card.

GoPuff is active on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook to further connect with customers.

In addition to offering delivery of convenience store items, goPuff also offers employment opportunities for students. Romaine says that it is easy to apply to be a goPuff driver by going on goPuff.com. The hours are flexible in order to accommodate for classes and personal schedules and she says the company is always on the hunt for customer-focused talent who want to be part of something unique.

The next time you are having a midnight craving or need an afternoon pick-me-up, turn to goPuff for all your convenience needs.

Emma Gehr is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at emma.gehr@uconn.edu.