Debunking the ‘rain on Tuesdays’ myth

In September 2018, Storrs had 11.33 inches of precipitation, which is approximately seven inches above the average for that month, however that would mean each Tuesday would have around 2.75 inches each day. In September, the averages for the Tuesdays that it rained was .49 inches. (File photo/The Daily Campus)

The student myth that it rains every Tuesday at the University of Connecticut is false, according to Steve Olsen, UConn Plant Science Research and Education Facility Manager.

Olsen said that he and the UConn weather station at the Plant Science farm report the precipitation data that they collect to the National Weather Service on a day-by-day basis. The data shows that the days it rains in Storrs don’t have to do with the day of the week, Olsen said.  

“My guess is that rainy days are random within each week,” Olsen said in an email. “Although I have not examined the data closely, I have never noticed a pattern and this is my thirty-first year of taking precipitation data.”  

The data from the National Centers for Environmental Protection recorded that it rained 13 days in September 2018 and three out of the four Tuesdays rained.

Storrs does have above-average records for average rainfall per year, average snow per year and average days with precipitation than the United States average, according to U.S. climate data.

In September 2018, Storrs had 11.33 inches of precipitation, which is approximately seven inches above the average for that month, however that would mean each Tuesday would have around 2.75 inches each day. In September, the averages for the Tuesdays that it rained was .49 inches.  

The averages for the other days of the week that it rained in September is 1.003 inches, approximately 50 percent more precipitation, according to climate data.  

Since it does not rain every Tuesday, why is this a student legend? 

Colleen Daly, a seventh-semester communications major, wrote an article for ‘The Odyssey’ titled “11 Thoughts Every UConn Husky has when it rains on Tuesdays” this past January commenting on the myth.

“I wrote my article because rain on Tuesday is something I've noticed and I know a lot of other people have noticed,” Daly said.  “I thought it'd be a way to poke fun at the conspiracy, as well as compile everyone's thoughts into one place.”  

Though the myth has no factual reasoning behind it however, Daly said it is something every UConn student seems to know.  

“I'm a firm believer that it rains more on Tuesday than any other day of the week,” Daly said. “I've heard this theory in passing around campus. I can't remember specifically one person who told me. I think it's just something that comes with the territory.” 

Daly said that the legend may be due to the fact that UConn students have to walk everywhere and tend to be outside in more treacherous conditions than they are used to. 

“On my post, I got a comment from someone saying that it ‘rains in the real world on Tuesday too’ so I guess it's not just a UConn thing, but I definitely notice it more since I literally walk everywhere here,” Daly said.   

Karla Rivadeneira, a third-semester Spanish education major, said she remembered it raining most of the Tuesdays last spring semester.  

“It happened on the majority of Tuesdays last year,” Rivadeneira said. 

Chrystal Charles, a third-semester psychology major, said that it is simply too weird how often it seems to rain only on Tuesdays at Storrs.  

“Yeah, I believe it rains every Tuesday,” Charles said. “It is too much of a coincidence at this point.” 

Rachel Philipson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rachel.philipson@uconn.edu.