How to Stop Being Single and Get Ready to Mingle: Is there truth behind Zodiac sign compatibility?

All in all, it seems that relationships, and people themselves, can be much more complex than their Zodiac signs make them out to be. So feel free to give the compatibility chart a try, but don’t be afraid to go out with people of opposing signs.  (Sharon Wesilds/Flickr Creative Commons)

All in all, it seems that relationships, and people themselves, can be much more complex than their Zodiac signs make them out to be. So feel free to give the compatibility chart a try, but don’t be afraid to go out with people of opposing signs. (Sharon Wesilds/Flickr Creative Commons)

Buzzfeed and women’s magazines alike have been dishing out compatibility quizzes for ages, especially ones based on Zodiac signs. These types of quizzes are used by single women everywhere and can be a lot of fun to try out, but do they actually indicate compatibility?

Rose Eveleth from Smithsonian Magazine wrote an article called “Good News: Astrology Doesn’t Impact the Success of Your Marriage” in which she looked closely at several studies done on the subject of Zodiac sign compatibility. These studies revealed that it was more common, possibly just by coincidence, for people to date those with similar birthdays to their own, than for them to fall in love with someone with a corresponding sign. For instance, a Sagittarius is more likely to end up with another Sagittarius, rather than the Leo or Aquarius that astrologists recommend.

One study Eveleth looked at by a team at the University of Manchester declared that there was absolutely no correlation between real life romance and Zodiac signs.

“This research shows that astrological sign has no impact on the probability of marrying – and staying married to – someone of any other sign,” the University of Manchester team said.

The truth is, according to a study published in “Correlation” in 2001, the biggest impact Zodiac signs have on relationships is based entirely on how they influence a person’s behavior. True believers in Zodiac signs may only seek out people with their love sign, or may constantly have doubts while with someone of an opposing sign. These doubts could result in problems in the relationship which may shorten its lifespan. In that sense, becoming a strict follower of the compatibility chart can be more harmful than beneficial.

A believer in Zodiac signs, who goes by “Just Ask Jess,” said that she has found a lot of inaccuracy in the compatibility chart, because it bases compatibility on personality alone and does not take things like moons signs or ascendants into account. These flaws in the chart can explain why many people, including “Just Ask Jess,” have found themselves in successful relationships with opposing signs.

In an attempt to see if people actually benefit from the compatibility chart, the Times of India asked seven married couples if they thought Zodiac signs played a role in their relationship, and they received a diverse array of answers. One couple consisted of two people that loved each other and got along really well, despite their opposing signs. A woman from an arranged marriage claimed that she had faith in the arrangement when she saw that their star signs were compatible, and they’ve been happy ever since. Another person said that they had an awful relationship with someone with a compatible sign, where their partner cheated on them. These responses show that there is almost no correlation between Zodiac signs and long-lasting love.

All in all, it seems that relationships, and people themselves, can be much more complex than their Zodiac signs make them out to be. So feel free to give the compatibility chart a try, but don’t be afraid to go out with people of opposing signs.

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.