Women’s Soccer: Huskies ship south for final road trip of season

The UConn Huskies celebrated the seniors on the team in this last home game, but lost 3-0 to the Tulsa Golden Hurricanes Sunday, Oct. 19. Photo by Eric Wang, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s soccer team will go on the road this week for their last two games of the season, taking on the Temple Owls on Thursday, Oct. 25, and then the East Carolina Pirates (ECU) on Sunday, Oct. 28.

UConn (3-13, 1-6 The American) was officially eliminated from tournament contention with their loss to Tulsa on Sunday, Oct. 21, but head coach Margaret Rodriguez says the team has not lost any fight.

“Temple’s getting some decent results and East Carolina has a result or two, but we have the ability to beat both those teams,” Rodriguez said. “Our main objective right now is we’re gonna be spoilers. We’re not in the conference tournament, but we’re not gonna finish tenth.”

The Huskies would need to win at least one game in order to move ahead of Cincinnati in the standings, who is 1-5-2 in the conference. They would also need the Bearcats to lose their final game of the season vs ECU. If Cincinnati were to beat ECU, then UConn would need to win both of their games this road trip.

The Temple Owls (7-9-1, 3-4-1 The American) are currently tied with Houston for fifth place in the American and, if the season ended today, would just make the conference tournament.

They are led by sophomore and freshman forwards Emma Wilkins and Gabriela Johnson, who are tied for 12 points. Wilkins leads the team in goals with six, and Johnson is tied for the team lead in assists with two.

The ECU Pirates need UConn to beat Temple, as they are on the conference tournament bubble, sitting at 3-4 in conference (8-5-2 overall) and just one point behind Temple and Houston in the standings. If both Temple and Houston win their final games of the season, then the Pirates will need to win out.

Junior forward Jenna Dages leads the Pirates in scoring with 13, six goals and one assist. She is followed by senior forward Courtney Cash, who has 11 points and five goals, just one less than Dages.

These last two games bring what has been a rather disappointing season to a close for the Huskies, but they are looking to end it on a high note.

Jorge Eckardt is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at jorge.eckardt@uconn.edu.