A$AP Ferg set to headline SUBOG’s fall concert

ASAP Ferg Says Pusha T & Drake 'Resurrected' the Art of Classic Rap Feuds: Watch. 6/6/2018 by Nerisha Penrose. ASAP Ferg attends MTV TRL at MTV Studios on Jan. 16, 2018 in New York City. MTV/TRL/Getty Images

Rapper A$AP Ferg will be headlining UConn’s Fall Concert, SUBOG announced at the Homecoming Lip Sync event on Thursday night.

The 30-year-old rapper from New York City, who released his first single in 2012, is best known for songs “Plain Jane,” “New Level,” “Work” and “Shabba.”

He released his third and latest studio album, “Still Striving,” in 2017. The rapper has collaborated with artists including A$AP Rocky, Future and Schoolboy Q.

Ryan Banigan, SUBOG concert chair, explained that he was looking for an artist with recognizable songs that would be able to “put on a performance that students won’t forget.”

“As we transitioned from our Spring Concert to UCONNIC, we realized that in past years there’s been flaws in the turnout of these events,” Banigan explained. “We want [the Fall Concert] to be on the same level as UCONNIC, we wanted to take it to the next level.”

A$AP Ferg is currently the only artist booked for the concert. Banigan is looking to showcase student talent, which may mean student openers, DJs or dancers to start the show. He is also looking to possibly involve cultural centers in the show.

Student involvement will be a big aspect of this year’s concert, and there will be plenty of activities for students to enjoy before the show begins.

“We want to create that inclusive environment, where even if you don't like hip-hop or rap there will be enough going on at the concert that there's something everyone can enjoy,” Banigan said.

Other artists considered for the concert included Joey Bada$$, Ty Dolla Sign, Playboi Carti, AJR and Kyle.
Banigan, who served as the music relations chair for SUBOG’s concert committee last year, is looking to make improvements to the fall concert turnout. “Last year’s Fall Concert received a lot of negative feedback about the flow,” he explained. This year he wants things to flow more smoothly and have more flexibility. He is looking to have the show not only be a concert, but an event. Students can participate in activities beforehand, and then once A$AP Ferg comes on, it will be all about the music. After the show, he is looking for student feedback to make improvements for future concerts.

Banigan described the transition from last year to this year as “tough, but enjoyable at the same time.”

“For fall our first goal is to make it a once a year experience, something that people look forward to and know will get better each year. In the past there were some concerts where I didn’t know the artists, I want to give the students an artist that everyone knows and can jam out to,” he said.

As for long-term goals, Banigan wants this year’s concerts to be, “something bigger than has ever been done before. We want to check off all our goals and accomplish everything. We want other schools to know about UCONNIC and establish it as a brand.”

The Fall Concert is set for Nov. 28, and doors will likely open around 7 p.m.

Tickets will be on sale through the Jorgensen website starting at 10 a.m. on Friday morning. Student floor seats are $40 and balcony seats are $20. For non-students, floor seats are $60 and balcony seats are $40. Students are able to purchase up to two tickets each.

If students are looking to get involved with SUBOG’s concert committee, they are welcome to attend meetings on Wednesdays from 5 to 6 p.m. in SU 303.

Melissa Scrivani is the associate life editor for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at melissa.scrivani@uconn.edu.