Swimming: Huskies look to continue winning ways

The UConn Swim Team ended the regular season with their annual Husky Open in Wolff Zackin Natatorium. Boston College, SCSU, Boston University, and the US Coast Guard Academy attended the meet (Charlotte Lao/The Daily Campus)

The UConn swimming team looks to carry their strong showing last meet against Southern Connecticut State University up into West Point. They will face off against Army this Saturday to try to keep the momentum going..

The Huskies are coming off a strong home opener as they defeated SCSU, 168-104. The younger swimmers showed an ample amount of potential highlighted by sophomore Ryan Dulaney who won both the 500 and 1000 freestyle.

The Huskies were especially impressed by their freshman swimmers, performing even better than preseason expectations. When asked how they could further improve, head coach Chris Maiello said he was focused on taking things one day at a time.

“They need to continue to build day-by-day,” Maiello said. “I know it is coach-speak but when you are coming in as a freshman you have to be able to take every day and use it to the best of your ability. Your body is tired mentally and physically more than anytime in your life so you have to be able to push.”

Army West Point is also coming off a road victory against UMass. Star runner Kevin Doo set a record in the 100 fly with a time of 48.81. The Black Knights also won the 200 medley relay (1:33.96) with a squad of Brian McKenrick, Ty Dang, Johnny Ellery and Brandon McCredie. On how Army has looked, Coach Maiello didn’t seem overly concerned.

“We focus mainly on what we are doing as a team. I respect Army and appreciate all that their athletes and coaching staff do. Those athletes will be future leaders of our country.”

This will be an important meet for the Huskies that could set the tone for at least the early part of the season. Both UConn and Army are coming off wins and will look to stay the course. The Huskies will need their veterans to set a standard and provide leadership for the younger swimmers, according to Coach Maiello.

“I want our veteran swimmers to continue to be leaders for the younger swimmers. But also to continue doing the things they need to do to be successful at our end of the year Championships. That is when they will let loose and show their potential.”

They need to continue to build day-by-day
— head coach Chris Maiello

The meet is set for Saturday at 12 p.m. at West Point.