Women’s Soccer: UConn comes up on top at Temple

Senior captain Liane Keegans defends against Tulsa on Senior Day (Eric Wang/The Daily Campus)

The UConn women’s soccer team notched their second straight road victory on Thursday afternoon with a 1-0 win at Temple.

While the Huskies 4-13 record prevents them from competing in the conference tournament head coach Margaret Rodriguez was still determined to secure a win on Thursday and also this upcoming Sunday at ECU.

“We need to win,” Rodriguez said. “Temple is getting some decent results and East Carolina has a result or two, but we have the ability to beat both those teams. Our main objective right now is we’re going to be spoilers. We’re not in the conference tournament but we’re not going to finish tenth. So, we’re going down to win—bottom line.”

Throughout the entire match, UConn outscored Temple 16-9. The Huskies goalkeeper Randi Palacios made four saves in the win.

The lone goal of the game was scored when a free kick from Sophia Danyko-Kulchycky bounced off a Temple defender with 6:30 left to play.

While the season as a whole hasn’t been the most successful for the team, Rodriguez emphasized that there are some positives to take away.

“We’re young, we’re a little inexperienced, but we gained some experience this year and I think we’re going to have a chip on our shoulder going into the spring season,” Rodriguez said.

Rodriguez also mentioned that despite the teams record, they still have maintained great morale.

“This year, the results aren’t here and aren’t what we hoped for but our team is in a great spot morale and culture wise,” Rodriguez said. “We have a great group and if one thing it’s a credit to our character and it’s a credit to our leadership from our staff to our captains on the field.”

The Huskies will finish up the season with a match at ECU on Sunday.