Calista’s Cinema Conversations: Stephen King movies

Yesterday, as I watched the 2013 remake of “Carrie,” I found the more modern take on the story to be interesting and because“Carrie” was the first Stephen King novel I read, it inspired me to dedicate this week to the best and worst Stephen King movie adaptations.

Although the 2013 remake was not bad, the original “Carrie” from the 1970s still stands the test of time. A Stephen King remake that is arguably better than its original is the remake of the popular mini-series “It.” The darker 2017 movie was praised by many fans of the series and of the horror genre, and even though I personally fear clowns and was not excited to see the film for that reason, it was a great adaptation of the novel. The second part of the film, titled “It: Chapter Two” is to be released in 2019.

Recent King books adapted for the big screen include “The Dark Tower,” which came out in 2017. Unfortunately, the amazing cast could not save the poorly adapted and at times incohesive plot, and even people who had never read the series said it was not a film they would see again. Netflix recently released their film “Gerald’s Game” based on the book by the same title, and though I have been planning to watch it for a long time, many people who I’ve talked to said it was worth the watch.

Older Stephen King horror films that are still great to watch include “The Shining” and “Misery.” Both films make great use of their book material to create two beautifully terrifying stories. Though there are many older King book adaptations in the horror genre, these two stand out most to me as they would still be amazing films without their literary material. In fact, the antagonist Kathy Bates from “Misery” won an Oscar for her insane portrayal of her character Anne Wilkes in the film.

Memorable non-horror King films are the dramas “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” as well as the coming-of-age film “Stand by Me.” Each is well-remembered for its uniquely touching plotlines that make them easy to rewatch.

There are a few films that are not considered good representations of King’s novels, such as the 1990s film “Thinner.” Though it loosely followed the story from the novel, there was was so much charisma from the novel that the film lacked heavily.

Stephen King had countless adaptations made of his fascinating novels and there does not seem to be any signs of the film industry stopping. Although some films do not do his books justice, it is hard not to recognize that King’s stories shine through even within poorly made films.

Calista Giroux is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at calista.giroux@gmail.com.