Volleyball: UConn struggles continue this weekend with losses to Wichita State and Tulsa

Caylee Parker rises up for a kill against Memphis during a five-set game at Gampel Pavilion Sunday Oct. 21. The freshman finished with 21 kills. Photo by Judah Shingleton, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s volleyball team traveled to Wichita State and Tulsa this weekend, but were unable to come out with a win.

The Huskies (11-13, 3-8 The American) lost to Wichita State (11-11, 6-5 The American) in straight sets on Friday before falling again to Tulsa (16-7, 8-3 The American) in four sets on Sunday.

The match against Wichita was not pretty. Caylee Parker led on the offensive end, finishing with a match-high 11 kills. In doing this, however, Parker also tallied a game-high six errors leading her to a .161 hitting percentage. Emma Turner continued her strong season as the Huskies’ setter, ending the match with 32 assists. In the end, however, the errors proved too much for UConn, as their 30-total compared to Wichita’s 11 was too difficult to overcome.

It was more of the same for the Huskies when they took on Tulsa on Sunday. Parker finished the game with a match-high 17 kills on a .273 hitting percentage and Turner led UConn with 20 assists.

However, errors remained a big issue during the game. This time the Huskies totaled 55 errors including 20 on service, an area UConn entered the season with as one of their strongest assets. The 20 service errors were a new season-worst and the 55 total errors was their second highest total of the season; the most came in their first game of the year, a five-set win against Wright State.

UConn has to ease up on errors and keep their composure if they want to start winning games again, as their current losing streak sits at five. Their next matches will be at home against top-ranked UCF on Friday and USF, who UConn beat earlier this season, on Sunday. The Huskies hope to get back on track next week, and it starts with limiting their own mistakes.

Conner Gilson is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at connor.gilson@uconn.edu.