Women’s Soccer: Huskies close out season with loss

The Huskies season ended after falling to ECU 2-0. Photo by Eric Wang, Staff Photographer/The Daily Campus

The UConn women’s soccer team suffered a 0-2 loss in their final game of the season against conference foe ECU.

The match was originally scheduled for Oct. 11 but was rescheduled due to weather conditions in North Carolina.

The first half of the game went scoreless but early into the second half, Cashlin Copley scored for ECU.

Just about 10 minutes later, Ashley Kendrot found the back of the net to put the Pirates up 2-0.

ECU finished up the regular season 10-5-2 overall and 5-4-0 in the AAC.

This was the eighth time this season the Huskies have been shutout.

The Huskies finished their season 4-14-0 overall and 2-7 in conference play. They did not qualify for the American Athletic Conference tournament.

Before heading to ECU, UConn’s head coach Margaret Rodriguez discussed some positives that can be taken from this season.

“Some positives to take away are I think we got a lot of players’ experience with the injuries that we had,” Rodriguez said. “We’re young, we’re a little inexperienced, but we gained some experience this year and I think we’re going to have a chip on our shoulder going into the spring season.”

Rodriguez also lauded the team’s morale throughout the season.

“This year, the results aren’t here and aren’t what we hoped for but our team is in a great spot morale and culture-wise,” Rodriguez said. “We have a great group and if one thing, it’s a credit to our character, it’s a credit to our leadership from our staff to our captains on the field.”

Mariana Dominguez is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at mariana.dominguez@uconn.edu.