Around the American: UConn men’s soccer remains atop conference standings

UConn Men's Soccer ties 2-2 in double overtime against USF on Sept. 23 at Morrone Stadium. Dayonn Harris and Abdou Mbacke Thiam scored the two goals for UConn. Photo by Nicholas Hampton, Associate Photo Editor/The Daily Campus

Eight games into the season and the UConn men’s soccer team currently holds the top spot in the American Athletic Conference standings. The Huskies (5-2-1) have the same conference record, winning one and tying one, as the Bulls of USF (4-5-1). UConn possesses the top spot in the conference since they have a higher overall record than USF. The team closest to catching up to UConn and USF is UCF (7-2-1), who’s coming off an impressive 8-1 win on Tuesday against Jacksonville. A couple days before, on Saturday, USF added a conference win against Tulsa.

This past Friday, the Huskies traveled to Tennessee where they picked up their first conference win against the Memphis Tigers by a score of 2-0. This match allowed them to separate themselves from the rest of the pack in the American. UConn looks to further distance themselves from the rest of the teams in the conference this Saturday when a handful of teams from the American take the pitch.

In Storrs, Connecticut, at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium, the Huskies will take on the Cincinnati Bearcats. This is a big game for UConn, as it is an opportunity for them to widen their lead in the conference standings. It’s also a crucial game for Cincy, as it gives them the chance to shake up the standings and return to in the mix of things. USF, currently second in the American, will travel to Dallas to take on SMU. This should be a pretty evenly-matched fixture, as USF possesses a better conference record than SMU, but SMU has a better overall record.

Other games in the American scheduled for this Saturday include the match that’ll take place in Philadelphia between Temple and Memphis. Both teams have won a match and lost a match in conference play. At Tulsa, the Golden Hurricanes will look to pick up their first conference win against UCF. Tulsa has lost both of their conference fixtures thus far, so this game will be huge for them if they don’t want to risk falling behind in the AAC standings.

Amir Clato-Day is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at amir.clato-day@uconn.edu.