Around the American: Football

Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo looks on during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Notre Dame, Saturday, Oct. 27, 2018, in San Diego. (AP Photo/Gregory Bull)

On Saturday, eight American Conference football teams were in action, including three inter-conference matchups.

UConn fell to a weak squad in UMass 22-17 at Rentschler Field. Quarterback Ross Comis threw for 197 yards and two touchdowns to lead the Minutemen while running back Marquis Young totaled 148 yards rushing and a score on 26 carries. For the Huskies, quarterback David Pindell threw for only 15 yards and an interception on just six passing attempts, but rushed for 120 yards and a touchdown. Running back Kevin Mensah picked up 82 rushing yards and a score on 21 attempts. The result dropped UConn to 1-7 overall while UMass improved to 3-6.

At Qualcomm Stadium in San Diego, Navy fell to No. 3 Notre Dame 44-22. Quarterback Ian Book was 27/33 for 330 yards, two touchdowns and an interception for the Irish while running back Dexter Williams churned out 142 yards and three touchdowns on 23 carries. Receiver Miles Boykin caught both of Book’s touchdown passes and totaled 58 yards receiving. Notre Dame improved to 8-0, while Navy fell to 2-6.

In conference play, Cincinnati topped SMU 26-20 in overtime at Gerald J. Ford Stadium in Dallas, Texas. In overtime, Cincinnati defensive back James Wiggins intercepted SMU quarterback Ben Hicks and returned the ball 86 yards for the game-winning score. Bearcats quarterback Desmond Ridder was 33/50 for 352 passing yards, two touchdowns, two interceptions and 47 rushing yards. Running back Michael Warren picked up 67 yards on the ground on 14 carries while receiver Khalil Lewis caught 12 balls for 174 yards and two touchdowns. Cincinnati improved to 3-1 in conference play and 7-1 overall, while SMU fell to 2-2 in the American and 3-5 overall.

Tulane staged a fourth-quarter rally at Tulsa as the Green Wave topped the Hurricane 24-17. Tulane quarterback Justin McMillan rushed for the game-winning 39-yard touchdown with eight minutes to go at Chapman Stadium. He finished with 75 rushing yards and two scores to go with 92 passing yards while Green Wave running back Corey Dauphine rushed for 107 yards on 18 carries. Tulane improved to 2-2 in the American and 3-5 overall, while the loss dropped Tulsa to 0-4 in the American and 1-7 overall.

Quarterback D’Eriq King accounted for seven total touchdowns as No. 17 Houston cruised to a 57-36 home win over previously undefeated USF at TDECU stadium. King was 28/41 for 419 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions through the air while also rushing for 132 yards and a pair of scores. Marquez Stevenson caught six passes for 106 yards and two touchdowns for the Cougars while Jeremy Singleton, Raelon Singleton and Courtney Lark also had touchdown catches. Houston improved to 4-0 in American conference games and 7-1 overall and currently sits atop the American West. Meanwhile, USF fell to 3-1 in conference play and 7-1 overall.

Story Salit is a campus correspondent for The Daily Campus and can be reached via email at story.salit@uconn.edu.