Top Husky performances of the week

The UConn Huskies Women's Field Hockey Team compete against the Liberty Flames for the Big East conference 2018 title at the Sherman Family Sports Complex on October 18, 2018. The Huskies scored the championship win with an end score of 6-1 (Judah Shingleton/The Daily Campus)

While UConn athletics did not get many wins this week, there were some very strong performances from individuals.  

Cecile Pieper, Field Hockey 

The redshirt senior led No. 4 UConn to a 5-2 win over American University Sunday. She added three goals to her season tally of 21 and led them in total points, with 52. Pieper set her season-high for goals scored with this hat trick. She earned the Big East Defensive Player of the Week honors this week.  

Will Kearsey, Men’s Swimming 

In UConn’s meet against Army, Kearsey earned one gold in 100-yard backstroke (48.88 s), one silver in 100-yard freestyle (45.58 s) and one bronze in 50-yard backstroke (21.01 s). His three events earned UConn total score of 16, which put Kearsey at fourth overall. 

Patrick Begley, Men’s Cross Country 

The senior captain finished in ninth at the 2018 American Athletic Conference Cross Country Championship with a time of 27:54.58. His run helped UConn finish third overall. This was his second consecutive top-10 finish and he earned All-AAC honors with his performance.  

Jaclyn Gallery, Women’s Cross Country  

Finished fifth overall with a time of 22:51.22, enough to earn her “Freshman of the Year” honors at the 2018 American Athletic Conference Cross Country Championship. She is the second consecutive UConn women’s cross country runner to win this award. 

Emma Turner, Women’s Volleyball  

Women’s volleyball lost both games this week to Tulsa and Wichita State, but one of their bright spots was senior Emma Turner, who provided 52 assists, 19 digs and a block over the two games. 

David Pindell, Football 

The UConn quarterback disappointed in the passing game as he went 4 for 6 with 15 yards in the air. However, he did rush for 120 yards with a touchdown in the 22-17 loss to UMass Saturday.

Mike Mavredakis is a campus correspondent for the Daily Campus. He can be reached via email at michael.quinn-mavredakis@uconn.edu .