The Kinsey Sicks Things You Shouldn’t Say: Dragapella like you’ve never seen it before

The Kinsey Sicks performing drag queen acapella in Jorgensen Center for the Performing Arts. They expressed political values, personal stories, and got the audience involved in their acts. (Hanaisha Lewis/The Daily Campus)

The dragapella pop quartet Kinsey Sicks took the stage at Jorgenson Tuesday, bedecked in flashy outfits and already singing their first song, “Dragapella.”

“Good evening ladies and lesbians,” Trixie, their youngest member, said to the crowd.

Trixie was the self-proclaimed “glamorous one,” and wore a floor-length bedazzled green gown with a sheer cape billowing behind her to prove it. She joined the group 15 years ago, back when she still had an “oxen-devouring vagina.” Rachel was by far the oldest, and was a founding member of the group 25 years ago. Her dress was short and hot pink, with an oversized bedazzled bow in her hair to match. Winnie was in blue, and just as fabulous as the other three. Trampolina, who joined the group 10 years ago, was dressed in a holographic purple romper, and filled the role of the “dumb one” to the point of being called “as intellectually rigorous as Donald Trump discussing anything” by Trixie.

Their performance followed a pattern of hilarious politically charged dialogue framing even funnier and more pointed songs. This can be seen especially in Winnie’s solo about Putin.

“I would like to propose a toast to the leader of our free world…Vladimir Putin!” Winnie said, before breaking into her take on Taco’s “Puttin’ on the Ritz,” called “Putin in the Ritz,” with amazing lyrics like “smuggling every dime / from your plunderful crimes.”

Trixie also exemplified this in her solo about receiving a note from her urologist. Just before she broke out into song, she declared she had a secret love and pointed out a random audience member named Bob.

“Before I met Bob, I thought monogamy was just an expensive piece of wood,” Trixie said, before directing an STD version of Abba’s “Mamma Mia” at him.

“Gonorrhea, now we really know, you were just a skanky ho,” Trixie sang, pointing at Bob.

Audience participation was used a few times in the performance. The performers dragged a woman onstage and forced her to do the can-can. More memorably though, Rachel declared that she was horny and dragged an unsuspecting, but oddly obedient man named Bernerd onstage. Once he was comfortable in a chair mid stage, she promptly straddled him and told him that he could call her “do me daddy.” She began serenading him while imitating sex and placing a Trump wig on his head. Her song ended with her face a few inches from giving Bernerd a blow job and the lyrics “things are looking up!”

While many of the songs condemned Trump and the rising bigotry in America in funny, lighthearted ways, Rachel tried something more serious. About halfway through the show, she took center stage to talk about her experience with the AIDS epidemic that hit San Francisco in the 90s. She talked about how little knew the time.

“It was like Syria was across the street and no one knew,” Rachel said.

Rachel said when she had been advocating for gay rights back when she was a student at Harvard, someone had sent her a death threat, but she had stuck it out until she got her diploma. The day after graduation, the first case of AIDS was announced in America. During her talk, she showed the most emotion when discussing how Republicans handled the AIDS epidemic. She said many of them hated gay people and were happy to see so many of them dying, and even used that viewpoint as their platform to get reelected. In 2006, she became one of the first attorneys to take cases against AIDS discrimination. Until this point, her speech had been incredibly calm, but at the end she yelled out her words.

“We are not the ones that should be ashamed,” Rachel said. “I’ve been waiting 25 years to say this.”

At the close of Rachel’s speech, the audience took to their feet to give her a standing ovation that lasted close to two minutes. Later in the show, Rachel also devoted one of her solos to her close friend Jerry who had died far too young of AIDS.

“Goodbye my love, goodbye,” Rachel sang.

Elise Vanase, a third-semester puppetry major, felt moved by Rachel’s more serious segment.

“This mix of comedy and seriousness was just very jarring to me, and it was really pretty beautiful to watch,” Vanase said.

Besides this serious point in the show, their humor reigned supreme with amazing one-liners and lyrics like “f*ck shaming f*cking, it’s a f*cking shame” and, “Oh what? Only gentiles can be anti-semitic? That is so anti-semitic!” And, of course, the whole performance ended with the show-stopping number “Everybody Loves a Drag Queen” and the encore/title song “Things You Shouldn’t Say.”

“I didn’t know what the show was coming in, so I didn’t realize it was going to be that political, but I think it was really good,” Shannon Stewart, a third-semester art major, said.

The Kinsey Sicks has nine albums for sale and a number of music videos uploaded on YouTube, so if you missed your chance to see the group in action, you can still check them out, they’re definitely worth the listen.

Rebecca Maher is a staff writer for The Daily Campus. She can be reached via email at rebecca.l.maher@uconn.edu.